Through the eyes of a being that can see two in dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a two dimensional being trying to understand what they would see when looking at a smartphone or any other screen. The participants also mention the book "Flatland" by Edwin Abbott, which explores this idea further. They also touch on the idea of perception and how it differs from person to person. The conversation also brings up the concept of the explanatory gap, which refers to the difficulty in explaining subjective experiences to others.
Lisastronomy
TL;DR Summary
What would a being that can only see two dimensions see, when they look at a smartphone?
Since a phone is an object which can show three dimensions on a two dimensional screen, I wondered what a two dimensional being would see when they look at a smart phone or any other screen. So:What would a two dimensional being see, when they look at a smartphone?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Read about Edwin Abbott's Flatland here. If you find the description intriguing enough, the book is available from Amazon.com in many forms for less than $10.00. I read it many years ago and I found it very enjoyable and mind expanding at times.

Last edited:
Likes jbriggs444, Nugatory, etotheipi and 1 other person
Don't we see two dimensions? What is the difference between what you are talking about and what we see?

Likes russ_watters
Are we imagining a two-dimensional being with a one-dimensional retina working to reconstruct a two dimensional world-view based on depth cues?

Likes Ibix
Lisastronomy said:
What would a two dimensional being see, when they look at a smartphone?
I don't even know what you or anyone else sees. I can only be certain about what I see myself, but never be sure if anyone else sees the world in the same way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanatory_gap

Likes Delta2

1. What is it like to see in two dimensions?

Seeing in two dimensions is like looking at a flat image or picture. Everything appears to be on the same plane, with no depth or perspective. It can also be compared to looking at a map, where everything is represented in a two-dimensional form.

2. How does a being with two-dimensional vision perceive the world?

A being with two-dimensional vision would perceive the world as a series of lines and shapes. They would not be able to see objects from different angles or have a sense of depth. They would also not be able to see objects that are behind other objects.

3. What are the limitations of two-dimensional vision?

The main limitation of two-dimensional vision is the lack of depth perception. This means that the being would have difficulty navigating their environment and understanding the spatial relationships between objects. They would also have a limited field of view, as they would only be able to see what is directly in front of them.

4. How would a being with two-dimensional vision interact with their environment?

A being with two-dimensional vision would interact with their environment by using their other senses, such as touch and hearing, to gather information. They may also use patterns and shapes to navigate and identify objects in their environment. However, their interactions would be limited compared to a being with three-dimensional vision.

5. Is it possible for humans to see in two dimensions?

No, it is not possible for humans to see in two dimensions. Our eyes and brain are designed to perceive the world in three dimensions, and we rely on depth perception for many daily tasks. However, we can simulate two-dimensional vision by looking at photographs or drawings, which are two-dimensional representations of our three-dimensional world.