Throwing a frisbee and measuring change in mechanical energy

In summary, the frisbee was thrown with a speed of 12 m/s from a height of 1.1 m and reached a height of 0.1 m with a speed of 10.5 m/s. The reduction in Emec of the frisbee-earth system due to air drag is -0.61 J, with only the kinetic energy being affected. The total mechanical energy at each point is 0.61 J, with the final height of the frisbee being 0.1 m. The decrease in Emec is not affected by gravity or the separation of velocity components.
sjcorona
A 75g Frisbee I thrown from a point 1.1 m above the ground with a speed 12 m/s when it has reached a height $.1 m its speed is 10.5 m/s What is the reduction in Emec of the frisbee-earth system because of air drag?

At first I thought Since ΔEmec= Δk+Δu the change is -0.61 J
Then I reasoned that only the kinetic is affected by drag Δk= -1.3 J
Now I'm wondering if I need to split the velocity into x and y components so I can separate the decrease due to gravity and the decrease due to drag? But I don't thinknthats what they want me to do. According to the guide The answer ends up being 0.53 J

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the total mechanical energy at each point.

I did that too,Emec2 - Emec1 is still 0.61

I don't see how you got that answer (or the guide's answer). What is the final height of the frisbee? Is it 0.1 m?

I would approach this problem by first defining the system as the frisbee and the Earth, and identifying the initial and final states of the system. The initial state is when the frisbee is thrown from a height of 1.1 m with a speed of 12 m/s, and the final state is when the frisbee reaches a height of 0.1 m with a speed of 10.5 m/s.

Next, I would consider the different forms of energy present in the system - kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (PE). The change in mechanical energy (ΔEmec) can be calculated as the difference between the initial and final mechanical energy, which is equal to the change in kinetic energy (Δk) and potential energy (Δu).

In this case, the change in kinetic energy can be calculated as Δk = 1/2 * m * (vf^2 - vi^2), where m is the mass of the frisbee, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity. Plugging in the values, we get Δk = -1.3 J.

To calculate the change in potential energy, we can use the equation Δu = m * g * (hf - hi), where m is the mass of the frisbee, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and hf and hi are the final and initial heights, respectively. In this case, the change in potential energy is negligible since the height change is very small (0.1 m). Therefore, we can assume that Δu is approximately equal to 0 J.

As a result, the change in mechanical energy (ΔEmec) is equal to the change in kinetic energy (Δk) since Δu is negligible. Therefore, the reduction in mechanical energy due to air drag is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is -1.3 J. This means that the frisbee-earth system loses 1.3 J of mechanical energy due to air drag during its flight.

In conclusion, to accurately calculate the reduction in mechanical energy due to air drag, we need to consider both the kinetic and potential energy changes in the system. In this case, the change in mechanical energy is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is -1.3 J. Therefore, the reduction in mechanical energy due to air drag is 1.3 J.

Related to Throwing a frisbee and measuring change in mechanical energy

What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy (energy due to an object's position) and kinetic energy (energy due to an object's motion). In the case of a frisbee, mechanical energy refers to the energy that is involved in throwing and flying through the air.

How do you measure mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy can be measured using the equation E = PE + KE, where E is the total mechanical energy, PE is the potential energy, and KE is the kinetic energy. In the case of a frisbee, you can measure the potential energy by measuring the height from which the frisbee is thrown, and the kinetic energy by measuring the speed at which it is thrown.

What happens to mechanical energy when a frisbee is thrown?

When a frisbee is thrown, mechanical energy is converted from potential energy (stored energy due to the position of the frisbee) to kinetic energy (energy of motion). As the frisbee flies through the air, it continues to lose potential energy and gain kinetic energy until it eventually reaches the ground.

How does air resistance affect the change in mechanical energy of a frisbee?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the change in mechanical energy of a frisbee by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This means that the frisbee will have less kinetic energy and therefore less total mechanical energy as it moves through the air.

What other factors can affect the change in mechanical energy of a frisbee?

Other factors that can affect the change in mechanical energy of a frisbee include the angle at which it is thrown, the force with which it is thrown, and any external forces such as wind. These factors can impact the amount of potential and kinetic energy involved in the throw, and therefore the overall change in mechanical energy.