Throwing relativity out the window

In summary, without relativity, information would not be able to travel faster than the speed of light. If you were to travel faster than the speed of light, you would be seen by others only after you had passed them. However, if you accept additionally an ether, all would be the way it is with sound. You would have cerenkov light even in vacuum.
eNathan
Ok, without criticism can we all just accept for argument sake a Newtonian spacetime? That is - without relativity.

Ok, I'm going to try to describe something that I thought of a long time ago (considering time travel when I knew not of relativity).

If information travels through light, what things would happen if we travel faster than light? Will you be not seen by others while you are passing them? And they only see you after you have passed them?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you accept additionally an ether, all would be the way it is with sound. You will have cerenkov light even in vacuum.

eNathan said:
without criticism can we all just accept for argument sake a Newtonian spacetime? That is - without relativity.
In the Relativity forum?!?
sorry - got to move this

eNathan said:
Ok, without criticism can we all just accept for argument sake a Newtonian spacetime? That is - without relativity.

Ok, I'm going to try to describe something that I thought of a long time ago (considering time travel when I knew not of relativity).

If information travels through light, what things would happen if we travel faster than light? Will you be not seen by others while you are passing them? And they only see you after you have passed them?

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA *breath* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry, I just can't believe the idea of dropping a scientific theory "for the sake of argument" :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

And then you talk about going faster than light, which can't be done according to relativity! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Please. PLEASE PLEASE learn about relativity before you say such stupid things. What you just said might as well be
Ok, without criticism can we all just accept for argument sake a flat earth? That is - without curvature

Ok, I'm going to try to describe something that I thought of a long time ago (considering gravity when I knew not of curvature).

If gravity forces us down, what would happen if we were on the bottom of the earth? Will you fall off the planet?

eNathan said:

If information travels through light, what things would happen if we travel faster than light? Will you be not seen by others while you are passing them?
And they only see you after you have passed them?

For the sake of argument let's analyze your knowledge of descriptive speech?

If information travels through light
Is this information another form of LIGHT?..is it the Encyclopedia Galactica?

what things would happen if we travel faster than light?
You would be traveling faster than the transportation medium (Light) that supports you, according to your first argument!

Will you be not seen by others while you are passing them?
My argument is that you have the first four words the wrong way around, thus:You Will not be seen by others while you are passing them?

And they only see you after you have passed them

What information are they using to 'see' an after-event?..I mean you have said they have passed you by, which is a non-interacting scenario? :-p

Dont worry though, Relativity invokes the reader to extend their imagination to extro-ordinary corners(see I to can mis-use words!) of their minds.

Enjoy to learn, that is all you can do :smile:

No, Alkatran, he said "WITHOUT criticism".

How about a rephrase...?
"What are the consequences of FTL travel in a purely Newtonian universe?" (e.g., light still travels at 186,000 miles per second but there's no ultimate speed limit...or time dilation...or length contraction...etc.)

Related to Throwing relativity out the window

1. What does it mean to "throw relativity out the window"?

Throwing relativity out the window refers to disregarding the principles of Einstein's theory of relativity, which describes the relationship between space and time, and the laws of physics in extreme conditions. It is often used as a colloquial expression to suggest abandoning traditional scientific theories or beliefs.

2. Why would someone want to throw relativity out the window?

There are a few reasons someone might want to reject the ideas of relativity. Some may believe that it is not compatible with their religious or philosophical beliefs. Others may have alternative theories or explanations for the phenomena that relativity seeks to explain. However, the theory of relativity is widely accepted and supported by scientific evidence, so throwing it out the window would require substantial evidence and a new, comprehensive theory to replace it.

3. Is it possible to completely disregard relativity?

No, it is not possible to completely disregard relativity. While there may be some aspects of the theory that are still being researched and tested, it has been extensively studied and confirmed by experiments and observations. The principles of relativity are essential for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the universe, and many technological advancements, such as GPS systems, rely on its accuracy.

4. Are there any potential consequences of throwing relativity out the window?

If someone were to reject relativity without solid evidence to support their claims, it could lead to a lack of understanding and progress in the fields of physics and astronomy. It could also create confusion and undermine the scientific community's efforts to explain and predict natural phenomena. It is essential to thoroughly test and evaluate new ideas and theories before disregarding established principles.

5. Has anyone successfully thrown relativity out the window?

No, no one has successfully thrown relativity out the window. While there have been attempts to challenge or modify aspects of the theory, it remains a fundamental and widely accepted theory in modern physics. Even Einstein himself, who developed the theory of relativity, later made revisions and updates to his original ideas, but the core principles remain unchanged.