Time and height in a freefall problem

In summary: So in summary, using the equations provided, the marble fell from a height of 262.2m and took a total of 7 seconds to fall, with the first 3 seconds covering 44.15m and the remaining 4 seconds covering 196.2m.
Glyper

Homework Statement

A marble fell from the height h and covered the last 196,2m in 4 seconds. How long was the marble falling? What height was it falling from?

Homework Equations

[itex]s=s_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{at^{2}}{2}[/itex]
[itex]v(t) = v_0 + at[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first equation above, we can plug what we know, obtaining: [itex]196,2=v_{0}\cdot4+\frac{9,81\cdot4^{2}}{2}=4v_{0}+78,48[/itex] so [itex]v_0 \approx 29,4m/s[/itex]. We can plug it into the second obtaining [itex]v(4)=29,4+9,81\cdot4=68,64m/s[/itex]. What does it give me, though? How should I progress?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please help me how to go on?

You have the initial velocity at the beginning of the last 4 seconds. But this initial velocity is NOT a function of 4 seconds, it is a function of unknown time BEFORE those 4 seconds. Use the equation to obtain this unknown time.

s = Δs + gt²/2 = 196.2
you can find the speed at t= t-4

v = g(t-4)
this is is your initial velocity at the height H-196.2

so Δs = v(t-4) = g(t-4)(t-4) = g(t-4)²

g(t-4)² + g(t-4)²/2 = 196.2

or the more convinient way, which I like to use:

2g(t-4)² + g(t-4)² = 2 * 196.2 or 392.4
3g(t-4)² = 392.4

So you have a standard quadratic equation and the rest ought to be pretty simple I think.
So if you solve for t, you get the entire time the marble was freefalling.

Thank you. Using this, though, it turns out t=4s. Does that mean that the entire freefall was the 4s mentioned in the task specification?

No that is not what I got as my answer. We are solving the same equation, perhaps you d tell me what your way of going about it was.

Anyway, another thing, if 4s were the entire time of the free fall then it would be contradicting the freefall distance equation which says that your maximum distance in 4s without initial acceleration would be - 78.4m

Oh, you are right, what a silly mistake in my equation :) So we have t=7.68s, right? Then, we have 3,68s which was not calculated in the task during which it covers gt²/2=66m so summing up, it was falling from a height equal to 66+196.2=262.2m, is that OK?

Slight difference from mine due to the rounding, but yes, that is the correct time :)

Thank you :) So does the second part of my post also make sense?

I apologise for mis leading you - I think things in my own head weren't moving in the correct direction when I thought of the solution I gave you before.

The distance the marble travels during t-4 is not known and the total distance traveled during the t seconds is gt²/2
and now you get
g(t-4)²/2 + 196.2 = gt²/2
I solved it through and this time the numbers do add up.
For some reason I had assumed before that t-4 seconds is the time for the last 196m. My mind must have been in freefall or something.
this makes much more sense than the last one. I apologise again for mis-leading you, but I guess if I fix the problem, in the end we're all pals, ey? :)

Last edited:
Haha, we sure are, thank you so much ;)

lendav_rott said:
s = Δs + gt²/2 = 196.2
you can find the speed at t= t-4

v = g(t-4)
this is is your initial velocity at the height H-196.2

so Δs = v(t-4) = g(t-4)(t-4) = g(t-4)²

g(t-4)² + g(t-4)²/2 = 196.2

or the more convinient way, which I like to use:

2g(t-4)² + g(t-4)² = 2 * 196.2 or 392.4
3g(t-4)² = 392.4

So you have a standard quadratic equation and the rest ought to be pretty simple I think.
So if you solve for t, you get the entire time the marble was freefalling.

I corrected the above equation as follows

s = ut + gt2/2

u = g (t0)
t = 4

so 196.2 = 9.81 * t0 * 4 + 9.81 * 4 * 4 / 2
t0 = 3

The marple fell 3 seconds to cross 44.15 m, then it traveled 4 seconds and covered 196.2 m

So the marple fell 240.35 m in 7 seconds.

Yes, thank you, I can't even imagine where I got my idea for the equation I got to at first. My corrected version follows the same logic as yours, icetiger. Making mistakes is human :P

1. What is a freefall problem?

A freefall problem is a physics problem that involves an object falling under the influence of gravity with no other forces acting on it. This type of problem is commonly used to illustrate principles of motion and acceleration.

2. How does time affect the height of an object in freefall?

The amount of time an object spends in freefall does not affect its height. The height of the object is determined by its initial position and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating the height of an object in freefall?

The formula for calculating the height of an object in freefall is h = 1/2 * gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

4. Does the mass of the object affect its height in freefall?

No, the mass of the object does not affect its height in freefall. This is because all objects fall at the same rate regardless of their mass, according to the principle of equivalence.

5. What is the relationship between time and height in a freefall problem?

The relationship between time and height in a freefall problem is a quadratic one. This means that as time increases, the height of the object increases, but at a decreasing rate. In other words, the object falls faster and faster as it falls, but the rate of acceleration decreases due to air resistance.