Time Comet Remains Within Earths Orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the time that a comet remains within the Earth's orbit using an expression for the angular momentum per unit mass and the relation between the comet's angular position and time. The initial attempt at a solution involved finding an implicit function for theta in terms of time, but it was noted that this would result in a complicated and messy expression. The conversation then suggests an alternative approach using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression and ultimately find the desired result.
cpburris
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A comet is going in a parabolic orbit lying in the plane of the earth’s orbit. Assuming that the earth’s orbit is a circle of radius a. The points where the comets orbits intersects the earth’s orbit are given by:

cos θ = −1 + 2p/a

where p is the perihelion distance of the comet defined as θ = 0.

Use this to show that the time that the comet remains within the earth’s orbit is given by:

[tex]\frac{2^{1/2}}{3\pi}(2p/a+1)(1-p/a)^{1/2}\tau_E[/tex]

where [tex]\tau_E[/tex] is the period of the Earth's orbit (i.e. 1 year).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I used an expression for the angular momentum per unit mass and integrated to get theta in terms of t, set it equal to the intersection points, solved for t for each, and then took the difference. That yielded an answer, but not one that even remotely resembled what was asked for. I am just not sure what to do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked this problem entirely, but the terms in my scratch work seem to be approaching the answer given. I'm not sure, but I think I know what mistake you may have made. If I understand you correctly, you claim to have found θ(t) explicitly. However, this is an enormously complicated function. All that you can really hope for is an implicit function relating θ and t. To see this, recall that dθ/dt=L/(m*r^2), where L is the angular momentum, m is approximately the mass of the comet, and r(θ) = 2p/[1+cos(θ)]. This reveals that your θ integral will involve 1/[1+cos(θ)]^2. Once you have managed to integrate this, you will get a mess of trigonometric functions relating θ to t. What you must then do is plug in your condition on θ when the comet crosses a, the radius of the Earth's orbit. (You'll also need to relate this to sin(θ).) This will tell you the time it takes for the comet to go from θ=0 to the point at which it crosses a. Recall that the orbit has time reversal symmetry to find the total amount of time that the comet is within the Earth's orbit. You must then relate this to the period of the Earth's orbit using Kepler's third law.

Likes 1 person
asf

I used Shaum's Table of Integrals and yes it was extremely messy, and yes you are correct I simply got an implicit function. Perhaps with a final step of relating this result to the period of the Earth's orbit using Kepler's third law I could arrive at the answer, but given the incredible mess of trig functions as you stated I have trouble believing that would be all I would need. I am thinking that there is an entirely different approach to this problem that I haven't explored. Perhaps giving the expression I found for the time would help (l is the angular momentum per unit mass).

[itex] t=\frac{4p^2}{l} ({\frac{1}{2}} tan{\frac{\theta}{2}}+\frac{1}{6} tan^3{\frac{\theta}{2}} ) [/itex]

Plugging in the intersection point I get a total time of:

[itex] t=\frac{8p^2}{l} ({\frac{1}{2}} tan{\frac { cos^{-1}({ -1+\frac{2p}{a}) } } {2}}+\frac{1}{6} tan^3{\frac { cos^{-1}({ -1+\frac{2p}{a}) } } {2}} ) [/itex]

Now you see what I mean. I can't imagine using Kepler's Third Law to relate that to the period of the Earth's orbit would make that mess equal to the expression given in the problem.

Last edited:
You should not be using arccos. Tan can be expressed as sines and cosines, and you already know that cos(x) = 2p/a-1, where x are the angles at which the comet crosses Earth's orbit. Use the Pythagorean theorem to find sin(x) in terms of square roots and 2p/a etc. Your trig functions will go away.

Oh alright that makes sense I'll give that a try thanks

What is a Time Comet?

A Time Comet is a theoretical astronomical object that is believed to have the ability to manipulate time and space. It is thought to move through the universe at incredible speeds, leaving behind a trail of time-altering energy.

How does the Time Comet remain within Earth's orbit?

The Time Comet is believed to have a highly eccentric and elliptical orbit around the Earth. This means that its path around the Earth is not a perfect circle, but rather an oval shape. This allows the comet to come close to the Earth at certain points in its orbit, and then move away again.

What would happen if the Time Comet collided with Earth?

If the Time Comet were to collide with Earth, it could potentially cause catastrophic effects. The intense energy and time-altering properties of the comet could result in changes to the Earth's orbit, rotation, and even the fabric of time itself.

Is there any evidence of the Time Comet's existence?

There is currently no solid evidence of the Time Comet's existence. The concept is based on theories and hypotheses from the field of astrophysics. However, there have been reports of unexplained time anomalies and strange occurrences that some believe could be linked to the presence of the Time Comet.

Could the Time Comet be used for time travel?

The idea of using the Time Comet for time travel is purely speculative. While the comet's time-altering properties are intriguing, there is currently no scientific evidence or technology that could harness this energy for time travel purposes. However, further research and advancements in the field of astrophysics may one day make this concept a possibility.