Time crystals: They require energy added back into them?

• Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
LightningInAJar
I was initially under the impression that time crystals are in lowest energy state and neither gain or lose energy. But other sources suggested they might require a bump in energy after a while to keep going?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are "time crystals" ?
It takes energy to get a crystal oscillating.
Depending on how they are mounted, crystals can oscillate with a very high efficiency.
That oscillation can be maintained with very little added energy.

Baluncore said:
What are "time crystals" ?
Time crystals. Not that I know the answer to the question, but I do know how to google :wink:

The wikipedia page linked by Filip says, in the introductory paragraph, that time crystals have been realized in periodically driven systems. I don't know where OP gets "bump in energy," but if it takes periodic driving to create a time crystal, then energy is at least being used to maintain the driving system.

The OP has a history of poorly sourced/referenced posts. In this case,
LightningInAJar said:
I was initially under the impression
LightningInAJar said:
But other sources suggested
Are of course impossible to follow up on.

The OP in this case is so badly presented that I can't tell if he's really talking about "time crystals" or "crystals in an oscillator used to measure time."

The question cannot be important. Since that posting, the OP has not logged back in.

It seems the answer is both yes and no, and no and yes, depending on the application of, and the meaning of time crystal.

Baluncore said:
ince that posting, the OP has not logged back in.
The OP has a history of starting threads and not participating.

Looks like he fooled us again.

He/she earned an “Ignore” from me.

Filip Larsen said:
Time crystals. Not that I know the answer to the question, but I do know how to google :wink:
Yes, this is the time crystal I am referring to. And the only reference I can offer to needing to add energy to the system is from a YouTube video which I'm told isn't a good source, so I didn't include it.

So you knew that your source was unreliable, tried to hide it and post anyway?

Why don't you find a reliable source? Then we can discuss it intelligently.

Likes Haborix
LightningInAJar said:
the only reference I can offer to needing to add energy to the system is from a YouTube video which I'm told isn't a good source, so I didn't include it
In other words, you don't have a valid reference as a basis for discussion. Thread closed.

What are time crystals?

Time crystals are a state of matter first proposed by Nobel laureate Frank Wilczek in 2012. Unlike conventional crystals that repeat in space, time crystals repeat in time, meaning their atoms show movement and changes in a pattern that repeats periodically in time, even without external energy. This state of matter breaks the time-translational symmetry of physics.

How do time crystals require energy to be added back into them?

While time crystals initially appear to contradict the laws of thermodynamics by exhibiting perpetual motion, they actually do not. To maintain their temporal structure and periodicity, time crystals require a periodic input of energy. This energy input is necessary to keep the system out of equilibrium, thereby sustaining the time-crystal phase.

What is the significance of time crystals in practical applications?

Time crystals could have significant applications in the field of quantum computing and information processing. Their ability to maintain coherence over long periods makes them potential candidates for building more stable qubits, which are the fundamental units of quantum computers. Additionally, their unique properties could lead to advancements in precision timekeeping, sensors, and new materials with novel properties.

Are time crystals naturally occurring or artificially created?

Time crystals were initially theorized as a theoretical state of matter, and the first ones were created in controlled laboratory conditions in 2016 by researchers at the University of Maryland and Harvard. Since then, studies have suggested that certain conditions in nature might allow for the formation of time crystals, but as of now, most known time crystals are artificially created in lab settings.

What challenges exist in researching time crystals?

Researching time crystals poses several challenges, primarily related to their stability and the precise conditions required to create and maintain them. Maintaining the non-equilibrium state necessary for the existence of time crystals requires precise control over environmental factors and energy inputs. Additionally, measuring and observing the properties of time crystals without disrupting their state is technically challenging, requiring advanced techniques and equipment.