Time dependent perturbation theory (Berry phase)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Schrodinger equation and the issue of having a ##\delta n## on one side and ##\ket{n}## on the other. The speaker realizes their mistake and explains how to solve it by performing derivatives and simplifying the expression. They also mention using the relationship ##\frac 1 {\dot \lambda} \partial_t = \partial_\lambda##.
dRic2
Gold Member
Homework Statement
An Hamiltonian ##H## is characterized by a parameter ##\lambda(t)## which is varied with time. In the adiabatic approximation the solution is given by
$$\ket{\psi(t)} = e^{i\phi}e^{-i\gamma}\ket{n(t)}$$
with ##\phi## the Berry phase and ##\gamma## the dynamical phase.

Carrying the the adiabatic perturbation theory to the next order in ##\lambda##, that is ##\dot \lambda##, assume that the solution is given by:
$$\ket{\psi(t)} = e^{i\phi}e^{-i\gamma}[\ket{n(t)} + \dot \lambda \ket{\delta n}]$$
where ##\ket{\delta n}## is to be determined. We arlerady know that the solution satisfy the Schrodinger equation to the order zero in ##\dot \lambda##. Show that:
$$(E_n - H_{\lambda})\ket{\delta n} = -i \hbar (\partial_{\lambda} + i A_n) \ket{n}$$.
##A_n## is the Berry connection ##\bra{n} i \partial_{\lambda} \ket{n}##.
Relevant Equations
Berry phase $$\phi = \int_{t_0}^{t} d\tau A_n(\tau)$$
Dynamical phase $$\gamma = \int_{t_0}^{t} d\tau E_n(\tau)$$
If I plug the solution into the Schrodinger equation I get
$$(i \hbar \partial_t - H)\ket{\psi} = 0$$
Since I know that the zeroth-order expansion is lambda is already a solution I think this is equal to
$$(i \hbar \partial_t - H)e^{i\phi} e^{-i\gamma}\ket{\delta n} = 0$$
If now I carry on with the differentiation I get the solution, except for the fact that I have ##\delta n## everywhere, while on the right-hand side the should be a ##\ket{n}##. So, either my assumption is wrong (why?), or I am missing something. I've been thinking for 2 days...

(the ##\ddot \lambda## term is dropped)

Thanks,
Ric

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it. For anyone interested:

dRic2 said:
Since I know that the zeroth-order expansion is lambda is already a solution I think this is equal to
This is plain wrong and it makes no sense. It would correspond to adding 0 to my previous solution which is true for the zeroth-order, but then it will remain true for the zeroth-order and not for the first order. I was confused by the sentence "We already know that the solution satisfies the Schrodinger equation to the order zero".

The problem is actually a very simple one: just performing all the required derivatives in ##(i\hbar \partial_t -H) \ket{\psi} = 0##, simplifying the expression with simple algebric manipulations, and remembering that ##\frac 1 {\dot \lambda} \partial_t = \partial_\lambda##, one gets the desired result.

Likes yucheng

1. What is time dependent perturbation theory (TDPT)?

Time dependent perturbation theory is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a quantum system when subjected to a time-dependent perturbation. It is an extension of the more commonly used time-independent perturbation theory, which assumes that the perturbation does not vary with time.

2. What is the purpose of using TDPT?

The purpose of using TDPT is to calculate the time-evolution of a quantum system when it is exposed to a time-dependent perturbation. This allows us to understand how the system responds to external influences and how its properties change over time.

3. What is the Berry phase in TDPT?

The Berry phase is a geometric phase that arises in TDPT when the perturbation is cyclic. It is a result of the adiabatic evolution of the quantum system, where the system is in its ground state at all times, but the phase of the wave function changes due to the cyclic perturbation. The Berry phase has important implications in various areas of physics, such as quantum computation and condensed matter physics.

4. How is the Berry phase calculated in TDPT?

The Berry phase can be calculated using the adiabatic theorem, which states that if a quantum system is subjected to a slowly varying perturbation, it will remain in its ground state and acquire a geometric phase. The Berry phase is then given by the integral of the Berry connection, which is a gauge potential that describes the geometric properties of the system.

5. What are some applications of TDPT and the Berry phase?

TDPT and the Berry phase have various applications in physics, including quantum computation, topological insulators, and quantum Hall effect. They are also used in the study of topological phases of matter, which have potential applications in quantum information processing and quantum metrology.