Time dependent perturbation theory

In summary, a constant perturbation, represented by a constant value H, will not produce any change in the state since it can be taken out of the bracket and the final and initial states are orthonormal, resulting in a zero bracket for all transitions. This is similar to classical mechanics where adding a constant term to the Hamiltonian does not affect the equations of motion.
dyn
Hi.
I have been looking at some notes for time dependent perturbation theory. The equation for the transition probability involves the matrix element < f | H | i > where f is the final state , i is the initial state and H is the perturbation switched on at t=0. If H is a constant , ie. just a number then it can be taken outside the bracket leaving H < f | i > but the final and initial states are orthonormal meaning the bracket is zero for all transitions. So a constant perturbation produces no change in state ?
Have i got all this right ? If not , where am i going wrong ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Hi.
I have been looking at some notes for time dependent perturbation theory. The equation for the transition probability involves the matrix element < f | H | i > where f is the final state , i is the initial state and H is the perturbation switched on at t=0. If H is a constant , ie. just a number then it can be taken outside the bracket leaving H < f | i > but the final and initial states are orthonormal meaning the bracket is zero for all transitions. So a constant perturbation produces no change in state ?
Have i got all this right ? If not , where am i going wrong ?
Thanks
Looks right to me.

Likes dyn
Sure, if ##\hat{H}=h_0 \hat{1}##, ##h_0=\text{const} \in \mathbb{R}##, it doesn't do anything in the time evolution, just adding a phase factor ##\exp(-\mathrm{i} h_0 t)## to all states (in the Schrödinger picture), but that means indeed it doesn't do anything to the state at all. That's as in classical mechanics: Adding a constant term to the Hamiltonian doesn't change the equations of motion (Hamilton's canonical equations).

Likes dyn

Related to Time dependent perturbation theory

1. What is time dependent perturbation theory?

Time dependent perturbation theory is a mathematical framework used to solve problems in quantum mechanics where the Hamiltonian (the operator that describes the total energy of a system) is time-dependent. It allows for the calculation of the evolution of a quantum system over time, taking into account the effects of a changing Hamiltonian.

2. What are the assumptions made in time dependent perturbation theory?

There are three key assumptions made in time dependent perturbation theory: (1) the perturbation is small, (2) the system is initially in a non-degenerate state, and (3) the perturbed Hamiltonian is a smooth function of time. These assumptions allow for a simplified mathematical treatment of the problem.

3. What is the difference between time dependent and time independent perturbation theory?

Time dependent perturbation theory is used when the Hamiltonian of a system is time-dependent, while time independent perturbation theory is used when the Hamiltonian is constant. In time dependent perturbation theory, the solution is a time-dependent wavefunction, while in time independent perturbation theory, the solution is a stationary wavefunction.

4. How does time dependent perturbation theory relate to the Schrödinger equation?

Time dependent perturbation theory is a method for solving the time-dependent Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of quantum systems over time. It allows for the calculation of the time-evolution of the wavefunction for a system with a time-dependent Hamiltonian.

5. What are some applications of time dependent perturbation theory?

Time dependent perturbation theory is used in a variety of fields, including quantum chemistry, condensed matter physics, and atomic and molecular physics. It is used to study the behavior of quantum systems under the influence of external forces, such as electromagnetic fields, and to understand the dynamics of chemical reactions and energy transfer processes.