Time dependent wave function normalization

In summary, the conversation discusses a wave function that is a linear combination of 2 stationary states of the infinite square well potential. The task is to prove that the wave function is properly normalized using the equation 1 = Integral (-inf, inf) of \Psi\Psi* dx. The person trying to solve the problem is struggling due to the presence of two terms in the wave function and seeks help on how to approach the problem. The response suggests thinking about what is known about solutions to the time independent Schrodinger equation and how to integrate stationary states of different energy levels.
wolski888

Homework Statement

Below is a wave function that is a linear combination of 2 stationary states of the infinite square well potential. Where ψ1(x) and ψ2(x) are the normalized solution of the time independent Schrodinger equation for n=1 and n=2 states.
ScreenShot2012-02-21at91020PM.png

Show that the wave function is properly normalized.

Homework Equations

1 = Integral (-inf, inf) of [itex]\Psi[/itex][itex]\Psi[/itex]* dx

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried solving the integral I can't seem to get any where. The fact that the wave function has 2 terms being added to each other complicates things. I looked at my textbook for help but the examples show only for time independent wave functions with one term. And tips and hints on how to approach this problem?

Thanks for reading this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what you know about solutions to the time independent Schrodinger equation. What does integral (-inf, inf) Psi1(x)^2 equal? What do you know about integrating stationary states of different energy levels from (-inf, inf). Hope this helps!

(sorry I don't know how to make the equations and variables look nice, first time posting)

1. What is the significance of normalizing a time dependent wave function?

A time dependent wave function represents the probability amplitude of a quantum system at different points in time. Normalization ensures that the total probability of finding the system in any state is equal to 1, making it a physically meaningful representation of the system.

2. How is the normalization condition for a time dependent wave function expressed mathematically?

The normalization condition for a time dependent wave function, ψ(t), is expressed as: ∫|ψ(t)|2dt = 1, where the integral is taken over all time.

3. What happens if the normalization condition for a time dependent wave function is not satisfied?

If the normalization condition is not satisfied, it means that the wave function is not a valid representation of the system. This could lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of the system's behavior.

4. Can the normalization condition change over time for a time dependent wave function?

Yes, the normalization condition can change over time as the wave function evolves. This is because the total probability of finding the system in any state must remain 1 at all times, so the wave function must adjust accordingly.

5. Are there any physical consequences if the normalization condition is violated for a time dependent wave function?

Yes, if the normalization condition is violated, it means that the wave function is not a valid representation of the system. This could lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of the system's behavior, and may also violate the laws of quantum mechanics.