Time Dilation: Away or Toward Observer?

In summary, the video discusses the concept of relativity of simultaneity and how it relates to time dilation. The demonstration involving an alien on a bicycle is used to explain this concept, but it is not about the speed of the clock ticking. Rather, it is about how the clocks at different positions are synchronized to define simultaneous time in different reference frames.
Involute
I thought the answer was no. I.e. the traveler's proper time always passes more slowly than a stationary observer's clock regardless of the traveler's direction with respect to the observer. I was watching Brian Greene's NOVA episode on time, however, and, at 23:15, he has a demonstration involving an alien 10 billion lightyears from Earth riding a bicycle away from, and then towards, us. When he's riding away, time slows down for him (with respect to us). When he's riding towards, it speeds up. This seems contradictory, but maybe I'm missing a detail, or misunderstood SR to begin with (or both). Thanks for any tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
Involute said:
I thought the answer was no. I.e. the traveler's proper time always passes more slowly than a stationary observer's clock regardless of the traveler's direction with respect to the observer. I was watching Brian Greene's NOVA episode on time, however, and, at 23:15, he has a demonstration involving an alien 10 billion lightyears from Earth riding a bicycle away from, and then towards, us. When he's riding away, time slows down for him (with respect to us). When he's riding towards, it speeds up. This seems contradictory, but maybe I'm missing a detail, or misunderstood SR to begin with (or both). Thanks for any tips.
That all makes no sense. I notice the title of the video is:
The Fabric of the Cosmos: The Illusion of Time

I doubt you can learn any serious science from a video like that. It's not surprising you got some nonsense about an alien on a bicycle!

Likes vanhees71
@Involute If A and B are moving relative to one another and watching each other’s clocks through telescopes... if they are moving towards one another they will both see the other’s clock running fast, and if they are moving away from one another they will both see the other’s clock running slow. This has nothing to do with relativity and time dilation; it’s just the Doppler effect, caused by the light travel time changing as the distance between them changes.

However, when they allow for the light travel time - that is, the light they see in their telescopes was emitted earlier and spent some time getting to them - and calculate the clock rates that would produce what they actually see then they both calculate that the other’s clock is running slower than their own. That is relativistic time dilation, and it is best understood as a manifestation of the relativity of simultaneity, not as “time slowing down”.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, Motore, hmmm27 and 1 other person
You are misinterpreting that part of the video. The difference between the two cases of the alien going away versus toward Earth is not about how fast the clock ticks. It is about how the clocks at different positions are synchronized to define simultaneous time ("now") in the reference frame of the alien as he goes away versus as he goes toward the earth.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. This is due to the effects of gravity and velocity on the fabric of space-time.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. As an object's speed increases, time appears to slow down for that object relative to an observer at rest.

3. Does time dilation only occur in one direction?

No, time dilation can occur in both directions. This means that time can appear to pass slower for an object moving away from an observer, as well as for an object moving towards an observer.

4. What is the formula for calculating time dilation?

The formula for calculating time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where t' is the time measured by the moving observer, t is the time measured by the stationary observer, v is the relative velocity between the two frames of reference, and c is the speed of light.

5. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

Time dilation has a very small effect on our daily lives, as the differences in time are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields. However, it is a crucial factor in technologies such as GPS, which must account for time dilation in order to accurately calculate location and time.