Time Dilation - Clock running slower?

In summary, the conversation is about Time Dilation and the discrepancy in the perception of time between a stationary observer and an observer on a moving train. The man on the platform sees the clock on the train ticking slower, while the man on the train sees the clock on the platform ticking slower. This is due to the relative motion of the two observers and there is no true rate of time. The term "proper time" is a technical term and does not hold any special significance.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am having a hard time understanding one thing about this experiment for Time Dilation.

I have one observer on a moving train measuring the time it takes for light to travel a distance d and be reflected back and one observer who is stationary, watching the same events.

I understand the man on the platform does not measure proper time and, hence, measures a dilated time period.

However, my book says that the man on the platform sees the clock held by the man on the train tick slower.

Shouldn't it be the opposite? For a fixed interval on the watch of the man on the platform, the watch on the train will have measured an inferior time period if it ticks slower, as if time had contracted, no?

Or is the book referring to the fact that the man on the platform sees the time measured by the observer on the train? In that case the watch on the train seems to tick slower because the stationary observer's watch is ticking faster?

Can anyone help me please!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both observers will see the other's clock tick slower.
There is no true rate of time. "proper" is a technical term in relativity and should not be considered to have any special significance in terms of what is "really" happening.

Ok, thanks

Related to Time Dilation - Clock running slower?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in different frames of reference. This is due to the effects of relative motion and gravity on the flow of time.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference. As an object moves faster, its perception of time slows down relative to a stationary observer.

3. How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation is measured using highly accurate clocks, such as atomic clocks. These clocks are synchronized and then compared after one of them has been in motion or under the influence of a strong gravitational field.

4. What are the effects of time dilation?

The effects of time dilation can be observed in various scenarios, such as satellites orbiting the Earth and high-speed particles in particle accelerators. It also plays a role in the accuracy of GPS systems and the aging of astronauts in space.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed. Once an object has experienced time dilation, it cannot go back to its original state. However, the effects of time dilation can be counteracted by traveling in the opposite direction or by being in a different gravitational field.