Time measured by two clocks (involves time dilation)

In summary: P and the passing of time being measured have zero relative motion. Q herself did not measure the time using P's watch.Similarly in (b), with P wanting to know the elapsed time in his watch after 20.0 s passed in Q's watch, the 20.0 s is a proper time too since in looking at her watch, the observer Q and the passing of time being measured have zero relative motion. P himself did not measure the time using Q's watch.In summary, proper time is the time interval measured by an observer who sees the events occur at the same point in space. In the given scenario, both watches record proper time since they are both observers with zero relative motion to the events being measured.
songoku
Homework Statement
A friend speeds by you in her spacecraft at a speed of 0.720c.
(a) How many seconds elapsed on your friend’s watch when 20.0 s passed on yours?
(b) How many seconds elapsed on your watch when she saw 20.0 s pass on hers?
Relevant Equations
##t=\gamma t_o##
Proper time (to) is the time interval between two events measured by an observer who sees the events occur at the same point in space.

I am confused how to determine which one is proper time for this question. How to know which events occur at the same point from the question sentence?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: A friend speeds by you in her spacecraft at a speed of 0.720c.
(a) How many seconds elapsed on your friend’s watch when 20.0 s passed on yours?
Relevant Equations:: ##t=\gamma t_o##

Proper time (to) is the time interval between two events measured by an observer who sees the events occur at the same point in space.

I am confused how to determine which one is proper time for this question. How to know which events occur at the same point from the question sentence?

Thanks
All watches record proper time. The answer, therefore, is both.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
All watches record proper time. The answer, therefore, is both.
Sorry I don't understand.

Let say I wear watch P and my friend wears watch Q.

Question (a) states my watch P records 20 s and asks for the time recorded by watch Q. By "all watches record proper time", which watch do you refer to?

Maybe my understanding is wrong but I think which watch measures proper time is related to what time interval is actually measured. If let say I want to measure the time needed for the spacecraft to move from a certain point A to another point B, then watch Q measures the proper time. But if I want to measure the time for the whole body of the spacecraft to pass through point A, then watch P is the one recording the proper time.

That's why I feel like there is missing information from the question.

Thanks

songoku said:

Let say I wear watch P and my friend wears watch Q.

Question (a) states my watch P records 20 s and asks for the time recorded by watch Q. By "all watches record proper time", which watch do you refer to?
All watches record proper time. That is the definition of proper time. It's equivalent to the one you gave.

Likes songoku
Another way to look at proper time is in terms of the relative motion between (1) the observer using a watch, and (2) the event whose duration is being measured by the observer. With zero relative motion between (1) and (2), the time obtained is the proper time.
songoku said:
Let say I wear watch P and my friend wears watch Q ...
Let us assume instead that Q is the female friend moving relative to the other friend P.
In (a), with Q wanting to know the elapsed time in her watch after 20.0 s passed in P's watch, the 20.0 s is a proper time since in looking at his watch, the observer P and the passing of time being measured have zero relative motion. Q herself did not measure the time using P's watch.
Similarly in (b), with P wanting to know the elapsed time in his watch after 20.0 s passed in Q's watch, the 20.0 s is a proper time too since in looking at her watch, the observer Q and the passing of time being measured have zero relative motion. P himself did not measure the time using Q's watch.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: A friend speeds by you in her spacecraft at a speed of 0.720c.
Relevant Equations:: ##t=\gamma t_o##

Thanks
I am not fond of the question statement. The answers depend strongly on the choice of reference frame and the relativity of simultaneity. But no reference frame is clearly specified. Welcome to real life, where questions almost always carry implicit assumptions that are not clearly communicated.

Let us assume that both clocks were zeroed at the event of your passing each other.

Rewritten for clarity:

(a) How many seconds elapsed on your friend’s watch when (according to your rest frame's standard of simultaneity), 20.0 s has passed on yours?

(a) How many seconds elapsed on your friend’s watch when (according to her rest frame's standard of simultaneity) 20.0 s passed on yours?

Likes songoku
jbriggs444 said:
I am not fond of the question statement. The answers depend strongly on the choice of reference frame and the relativity of simultaneity. But no reference frame is clearly specified. Welcome to real life, where questions almost always carry implicit assumptions that are not clearly communicated.

Let us assume that both clocks were zeroed at the event of your passing each other.

Rewritten for clarity:

(a) How many seconds elapsed on your friend’s watch when (according to your rest frame's standard of simultaneity), 20.0 s has passed on yours?

(a) How many seconds elapsed on your friend’s watch when (according to her rest frame's standard of simultaneity) 20.0 s passed on yours?
I also lean more towards this approach, it is not really clear whether 20 s is proper time or dilated time

kumusta said:
Another way to look at proper time is in terms of the relative motion between (1) the observer using a watch, and (2) the event whose duration is being measured by the observer. With zero relative motion between (1) and (2), the time obtained is the proper time.

Let us assume instead that Q is the female friend moving relative to the other friend P.
In (a), with Q wanting to know the elapsed time in her watch after 20.0 s passed in P's watch, the 20.0 s is a proper time since in looking at his watch, the observer P and the passing of time being measured have zero relative motion. Q herself did not measure the time using P's watch.
Similarly in (b), with P wanting to know the elapsed time in his watch after 20.0 s passed in Q's watch, the 20.0 s is a proper time too since in looking at her watch, the observer Q and the passing of time being measured have zero relative motion. P himself did not measure the time using Q's watch.
I understand your explanation.

But I just got the solution from the teacher :

1631671710320.png

The solution states "we find the dilated time" but the calcuation actually is for proper time.

I think I will just dismiss this question as a bad question.

Thank you very much for the help and explanation PeroK, kumusta, jbriggs444

From 20.0 s to 15.0 s < 20.0 s is not time dilation but time deflation!
Also, the rocket was supposed to be traveling at (0.75)##c## and not at (0.66)##c## that you gave in the solution. The 20.0 s must be used at the right hand side of the time dilation formula because it is the proper time. Instead, you used the 20.0 s as the apparent time which is not correct.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
The solution states "we find the dilated time" but the calcuation actually is for proper time.

I think I will just dismiss this question as a bad question.
That's all very well, but it leaves you in a state of confusion over what proper time is. All clocks and watches measure their own proper time. Proper time is a personal thing!

Likes songoku
kumusta said:
From 20.0 s to 15.0 s < 20.0 s is not time dilation but time deflation!
Also, the rocket was supposed to be traveling at (0.75)##c## and not at (0.66)##c## that you gave in the solution. The 20.0 s must be used at the right hand side of the time dilation formula because it is the proper time. Instead, you used the 20.0 s as the apparent time which is not correct.
I didn't realize that the speed is wrong 😅 . I only paid attention to what 20 s is, proper time or dilated time. So it means that in my teacher point of view, 20 s is the dilated time

PeroK said:
but it leaves you in a state of confusion over what proper time is.
It certainly is.

If you were the one doing the question, what would be your approach to solve it? Would you regard the 20 s as proper time or dilated time?

Thanks

songoku said:
If you were the one doing the question, what would be your approach to solve it? Would you regard the 20 s as proper time or dilated time?
Time dilation is symmetric. Your friend's proper time is dilated in your reference frame; and your proper time is dilated in her reference frame.

Time dilation applies to proper time.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
Time dilation is symmetric. Your friend's proper time is dilated in your reference frame; and your proper time is dilated in her reference frame.

Time dilation applies to proper time.
I think I understand. Your interpretation is the same as my teacher.

Thank you again kumusta and PeroK

1. How does time dilation affect the measurement of time using two clocks?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in different frames of reference. In the context of two clocks, if one clock is moving at a high speed relative to the other, time will appear to pass slower for the moving clock. This means that the two clocks will measure different amounts of time, even if they were initially synchronized.

2. What causes time dilation in the measurement of time using two clocks?

Time dilation is a consequence of the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that an observer moving at a high speed relative to another observer will experience time passing slower. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and the passage of time is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. Does time dilation always occur when using two clocks to measure time?

No, time dilation only occurs when there is a significant difference in the relative speeds of the two clocks. For everyday situations, such as using a clock on Earth to measure the time on a satellite in orbit, the effects of time dilation are negligible and can be ignored. However, for objects moving at extremely high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator, the effects of time dilation become significant.

4. How can we account for time dilation when using two clocks to measure time?

In order to account for time dilation, we can use the equations of special relativity to calculate the difference in time between the two clocks. This involves taking into account the relative speeds of the clocks and the distance between them. By using these equations, we can accurately measure the difference in time between the two clocks and account for the effects of time dilation.

5. Can time dilation be reversed when using two clocks to measure time?

Yes, time dilation can be reversed by changing the relative speeds of the two clocks. If the moving clock were to slow down or come to a stop, time would appear to pass at a normal rate for both clocks. However, this would require a significant change in the speed of the clock, which is not feasible in most situations. In general, time dilation is a one-way effect and cannot be reversed easily.