Time Dilation/Length Contraction Qs: Exploring SR Basics

In summary, the light clock will reflect the signal back to the sender even if it misses the mirror because the path is "extended".
BrotherTheo
It pains me to even type these out. I realize how many threads there are with very similar questions and to someone well versed in these topics, these questions probably all seem the same. But after reading what seems like all the questions, I feel I'm still confused.

1) In regards to the light clock experiment (and this may be more a classical physics question as opposed to a special relativity question). Due to the extended path (the 'c' in pythagorean's theorem) a light particle takes when traveling between a couple of mirrors at relativistic speeds, time must slow since light has a longer path to follow. The question then, is why is the light particle even following the path of the mirror? Why isn't it reflected perpendicular to the mirror and the other mirror moves out of the way by the time the particle reaches the opposite one (or at least the particle is off-center)? Thus rendering this experiment irrelevant?

2) Hitting on the twin paradox here. Before I begin, any speeds/velocities listed here are using Bill as the inertial frame. So... Jebediah and Bill are at Cape Canaveral. Jebediah on a rocket and Bill at Mission Control (We're pretending there is one at the Cape still). Jebediah takes off in his super-fast in his rocket and hits .5c. Bill see's Jebediah's Rolex (Bill is straight up eagle eye status here,people) ticking slower (this is conceptual folks, I don't care at this point about the Lorentz factor for exact numbers) than his own. Jebediah reaches uh... wherever. Betelgeuse and turns around. Now he's headed back at .5c. This is where I am confused. Since he is still going .5c (wrt Bill ) his Rolex is still ticking in slow motion, correct? And Jebediah still see's Bill's Rolex (yes he's been watching this whole time, the wonders of auto-pilot... or mechjeb for those of you who already caught on to my reference here) ticking slow since Bill is moving at .5c relative to Jebediah. Now most explanations I've read involve invoking acceleration (i.e. General Relativity, right?) or like, Doppler Shift or something. How does one reconcile this using JUST special relativity?

3) Length Contraction. The book I'm reading "How to teach your dog relativity" talks about a dog running along a steel barred fence at relativistic speeds. Bob, watching the dog, see's the dog contract some length to be able to fit between the bars of the fence. The dog, however, see's the bars of the fence shrink together some distance (again, not interested in numbers here, just the concept). The dog see's that he would be unable to fit through the fence if he were to change direction a bit. However the outside observer (in the same reference frame as the fence) see's the dog easily able to fit in the fence. So what if this outside observer pushed the dog through the fence? According to the outside observer the dog would fit, however from the dog's reference frame he would hit the fence. I'm clearly missing something here.

I've got plenty more questions, but I'll leave it at this for now because A) These might answer a number of the rest of my questions, and B) My blood pressure is through the roof after becoming so frustrated by this. And lastly, I hope these all made sense, I just got off work and its 0345.

Physics news on Phys.org
BrotherTheo said:
1) In regards to the light clock experiment (and this may be more a classical physics question as opposed to a special relativity question). Due to the extended path (the 'c' in pythagorean's theorem) a light particle takes when traveling between a couple of mirrors at relativistic speeds, time must slow since light has a longer path to follow. The question then, is why is the light particle even following the path of the mirror? Why isn't it reflected perpendicular to the mirror and the other mirror moves out of the way by the time the particle reaches the opposite one (or at least the particle is off-center)? Thus rendering this experiment irrelevant?

The stays on it's path, because there's nothing to change it's path. As long as the clock doesn't change direction the light will keep reflecting. When the clock does change direction, the light will keep going straight, and therefore might miss the mirror.
Imaging two mirrors which will be | and a photon which will be * the velocity v is <--

<-- | * | (for some reason this didn't work out the way I wanted it to, it removes the extra spaces.)

as long as the clock doesn't suddenly change it's velocity, the photon will keep reflecting. when the clock changes direction to for instance downwards, the mirrors will go down, but the photon won't and will eventually exit the clock.

BrotherTheo said:
2) Hitting on the twin paradox here. Before I begin, any speeds/velocities listed here are using Bill as the inertial frame. So... Jebediah and Bill are at Cape Canaveral. Jebediah on a rocket and Bill at Mission Control (We're pretending there is one at the Cape still). Jebediah takes off in his super-fast in his rocket and hits .5c. Bill see's Jebediah's Rolex (Bill is straight up eagle eye status here,people) ticking slower (this is conceptual folks, I don't care at this point about the Lorentz factor for exact numbers) than his own. Jebediah reaches uh... wherever. Betelgeuse and turns around. Now he's headed back at .5c. This is where I am confused. Since he is still going .5c (wrt Bill ) his Rolex is still ticking in slow motion, correct? And Jebediah still see's Bill's Rolex (yes he's been watching this whole time, the wonders of auto-pilot... or mechjeb for those of you who already caught on to my reference here) ticking slow since Bill is moving at .5c relative to Jebediah. Now most explanations I've read involve invoking acceleration (i.e. General Relativity, right?) or like, Doppler Shift or something. How does one reconcile this using JUST special relativity?

Not sure about this one, but the basic idea is that time dilation does not apply when accelerating or decelerating. So when Jebediah stops and turns around, he changes reference frame, and at that moment time dilation no longer applies. Maybe someone else can explain this more clearly

BrotherTheo said:
3) Length Contraction. The book I'm reading "How to teach your dog relativity" talks about a dog running along a steel barred fence at relativistic speeds. Bob, watching the dog, see's the dog contract some length to be able to fit between the bars of the fence. The dog, however, see's the bars of the fence shrink together some distance (again, not interested in numbers here, just the concept). The dog see's that he would be unable to fit through the fence if he were to change direction a bit. However the outside observer (in the same reference frame as the fence) see's the dog easily able to fit in the fence. So what if this outside observer pushed the dog through the fence? According to the outside observer the dog would fit, however from the dog's reference frame he would hit the fence. I'm clearly missing something here.

Well here's a question I can answer, length contraction only applies same direction as the velocity. So the space between the bars doesn't contract, when the dog does pass through the fence, the fence would seem thinner, because that distance is in the same direction as the velocity. Imagine the dog is traveling at a velocity v in the x direction, only lengths in the x direction are contracted, the space between the bars is not in the x direction and therefore is not contracted.

I hope this helps you

Last edited:
BrotherTheo said:
why is the light particle even following the path of the mirror? Why isn't it reflected perpendicular to the mirror

It is reflected perpendicular to the mirror--in the rest frame of the mirror. In that frame it's obvious that the light hits both mirrors.

But if the light hits both mirrors in one frame, it must hit both mirrors in all frames. You can't change whether the light hits the mirrors or not by changing frames. So in a frame in which the mirror is moving, the light path must be diagonal, so that it still hits both mirrors.

BrotherTheo said:
According to the outside observer the dog would fit, however from the dog's reference frame he would hit the fence.

This is just the barn and pole "paradox" in different guise. The missing piece (as it often is in relativity puzzles) is relativity of simultaneity. Read the linked article and then, if you still have questions, ask them.

Thank you for the replies Peter.

I get the light clock/mirror issue now. The easy way for me to figure that one out, is instead of having the mirror moving relative to me and the earth, is having the mirror stationary on the Earth and me moving by it. That seemed to be an easier way to think about it for me.

The barn and pole "paradox" makes more sense to me than the dog one that was used in this book. The one thing I am trying to figure out with regards to simultaneity, is why is the more distant event seen first wrt the runner/pole? Seems to me the closer door would be seen closing first as the light from it has less distance to travel. I feel I'm missing something here. The book also uses an example of a someone sitting in the middle of a 100ft yard next to a light emitter, with 1 human measurer on either side of the yard to make a mark to measure the yard. Someone comes running by this as the middle person hits a button to emit a flash of light. The someone running by will see the more distant measurer mark the yard before the closer one. Again, I'm caught up on this because with the closer measurer, the light has less distance to travel than from the further measurer. Is it to do with the fact that the light has to travel further to reach the closer measurer? Would the actual distance of the measurers from the light source not affect this? So whether they are 1ft or 1 light year the result is the same? I guess not since the ratio is the same. I hope that all made sense and isn't completely off base.

As for the twin "paradox"... gimme a little bit more time on that. I wanted to nail down these two things first.

BrotherTheo said:
Seems to me the closer door would be seen closing first as the light from it has less distance to travel.

The word "see" is misleading here. Note that the article I linked to explicitly asks the question of how the pole "looks" to the person stationary on the barn roof, separately from how the pole's length is measured by that person. (You might want to read the article linked to at that point, about whether you can actually "see" length contraction.) To the runner moving with the pole, the more distant door is measured to close first--i.e., when the runner takes the time he actually sees each door close, and then subtracts the time it took the light to get to him from each door, he finds that the more distant door actually closed first.

1. What is time dilation and length contraction?

Time dilation and length contraction are two concepts in the theory of relativity known as special relativity. Time dilation refers to the phenomenon where time appears to pass more slowly for an object in motion relative to an observer. Length contraction, on the other hand, is the shortening of an object in the direction of its motion when viewed by an observer in a different frame of reference.

2. What is the theory of special relativity?

The theory of special relativity is a fundamental theory in physics proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and how the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. What causes time dilation and length contraction?

Time dilation and length contraction are caused by the fundamental principles of special relativity. The theory states that the laws of physics, including the speed of light, are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that time and space are relative concepts and can appear differently to different observers depending on their relative motion.

4. What are some real-world examples of time dilation and length contraction?

One famous example of time dilation is the "twin paradox," where one twin travels at high speeds while the other stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than their twin on Earth due to their relative motion. An example of length contraction can be seen in the muon experiment, where particles called muons travel at high speeds and experience length contraction, allowing them to reach the Earth's surface despite their short lifetime.

5. How does time dilation and length contraction impact our daily lives?

Although time dilation and length contraction may seem like abstract concepts, they are essential to our daily lives. GPS technology, for example, must account for time dilation effects due to the satellites' high speeds in orbit. Additionally, particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, rely on the principles of special relativity to work correctly and make important scientific discoveries.