Does Time Dilation Affect Synchronized Clocks in Different Frames?

In summary, two atomic clocks synchronized at the beginning of a year will not remain synchronized after one year due to the effects of time dilation. The clock on the satellite, which orbits at a high speed around the Earth, will be slightly behind the clock in the lab, which remains at rest with respect to the Earth. This is because the clock on the satellite is stationary in its own frame of reference, while it is moving in relation to the Earth's frame of reference. If the speed of light was much slower, the time difference between the two clocks would be more significant, as time dilation increases the closer an object travels to the speed of light. However, this calculation does not fully account for the effects of gravity and the Earth's rotation
chef99

Homework Statement

Two atomic clocks are synchronized. One is placed on a satellite, which orbits around the Earth at a high speed for a whole year. The other is placed in a lab and remains at rest, with respect to the earth. You may assume that both clocks can measure time accurately to many significant digits.

a) Will the two clocks still be synchronized after one year? Explain your reasoning.

b) Imagine that the speed of light was much slower than its actual value. How would the results of this experiment change if the speed of light was only twice the average speed of the satellite? Explain your reasoning, using a calculation.

Homework Equations

Δtm = Δts / √ 1- v2 / c2[/SUP] )

The Attempt at a Solution

a) No, after a year, the two atomic clocks will not be synchronized. The clock on the satellite will be slightly behind the one in the lab, as the amount of time measured in the satellite's frame of reference will be slightly less than that measured from the earth’s frame of reference (the clock in the lab), because the orbiting clock is stationary with respect to the satellite’s frame of reference, whereas it is moving in relation to the earth’s frame of reference. The time dilation would be slight, however, as the satellite will likely not be moving at nearly the speed of light (the question does not specify the satellite’s speed). The faster the satellite moves, the greater the time difference.

b) If the speed of light was much slower, the results of this experiment would be dramatically different, as time dilation increases the closer an object is traveling to the speed of light. If the satellite traveled at half the speed of light, as asked in the question above, the result would be as follows:

Δtm = Δts / √ 1- v2 / c2 )

Δtm = 3.154 x107s / √ 1- 0.5c2 / c2

Δtm = 3.154 x107s / √ 1- 0.5

Δtm = 44604295.76

Δtm = 4.5 x107sThe same advent will take 4.5 x107s. This is a noticeable difference.I think I have the ideas right, I'm just not sure if I'm explaining it properly. If someone could help clarify this that would be most appreciated.
[/SUB][/SUB][/SUB]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to part a) is probably what is expected. The question, however, is very poor as it ignores the rotation of the Earth and gravity.

In reality, astronauts on the space station age slightly more than those on Earth.

Search for the Hafele-Keating experiment if you are interested.

For b), how long is ##4.5 \times 10^7 s##?

PeroK said:
Your answer to part a) is probably what is expected. The question, however, is very poor as it ignores the rotation of the Earth and gravity.

In reality, astronauts on the space station age slightly more than those on Earth.

Search for the Hafele-Keating experiment if you are interested.

For b), how long is ##4.5 \times 10^7 s##?
4.5×107s is 12390.1 hours, which is almost one and a half years (1.41). That would be considered a huge time difference Id imagine?

Thank you for the research, very interesting. I didn't even think of how the direction the object is traveling would affect the time dilation, but that makes perfect sense as the launch direction of rockets is all important to launch with the Earth's rotation [east]. So my answers while perhaps inaccurate in realaity, they are correct for the purpose of the question?

chef99 said:
4.5×107s is 12390.1 hours, which is almost one and a half years (1.41). That would be considered a huge time difference Id imagine?

Thank you for the research, very interesting. I didn't even think of how the direction the object is traveling would affect the time dilation, but that makes perfect sense as the launch direction of rockets is all important to launch with the Earth's rotation [east]. So my answers while perhaps inaccurate in realaity, they are correct for the purpose of the question?

The problem is also poor in that it didn't say explicitly in whose reference frame the ship orbits for a year.

Which have you assumed in your answer? What does the year and a half represent?

PeroK said:
The problem is also poor in that it didn't say explicitly in whose reference frame the ship orbits for a year.

Which have you assumed in your answer? What does the year and a half represent?

I calculated the satellite orbiting the Earth from the Earth's frame of reference. But as you said, the Earth is not truly an inertial frame of reference when its rotation is factored so the equation I guess doesn't really work in reality.

chef99 said:
I calculated the satellite orbiting the Earth from the Earth's frame of reference. But as you said, the Earth is not truly an inertial frame of reference when its rotation is factored so the equation I guess doesn't really work in reality.

Let me interpret your answer. The ship orbits for a year in the Earth frame. At the end of an Earth year the ship's clock differs by a year and a half?

PeroK said:
Let me interpret your answer. The ship orbits for a year in the Earth frame. At the end of an Earth year the ship's clock differs by a year and a half?
Yes, that is correct.

chef99 said:
Yes, that is correct.
Does the ship clock read 2.5 years or -0.5 years?

PeroK said:
Does the ship clock read 2.5 years or -0.5 years?
I believe it reads -0.5, as it is the clock moving from the Earth's frame of reference, but I could be mistaken.

chef99 said:
I believe it reads -0.5, as it is the clock moving from the Earth's frame of reference, but I could be mistaken.
The ship clock can't be moving backwards.

What you have calculated is the time on an Earth clock (about 1.5 years) after a year on the ship clock.

PeroK said:
The ship clock can't be moving backwards.

What you have calculated is the time on an Earth clock (about 1.5 years) after a year on the ship clock.
Ok, so the ship's clock reads 1 year, and the Earth clock reads 1.5? Is this is because time can't go backward?

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a different rate for objects in motion compared to those at rest. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time and space are relative and can be affected by the speed and gravitational pull of objects.

2. How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs due to the concept of spacetime. As an object moves through space, it also moves through time. When an object moves at high speeds, it experiences a distortion in spacetime, causing time to slow down for that object. This is known as time dilation.

3. What are some examples of time dilation?

One of the most famous examples of time dilation is the "twin paradox." In this scenario, one twin stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they have aged significantly less than the twin who stayed on Earth due to time dilation. Another example is the GPS system, which has to account for time dilation due to the satellites orbiting the Earth at high speeds.

4. Does time dilation only occur with high speeds?

No, time dilation can also occur due to differences in gravitational pull. This is known as gravitational time dilation. The closer an object is to a massive object, the slower time will pass for that object. This has been observed in experiments such as the Pound-Rebka experiment, where time was measured to pass more slowly at the bottom of a tower compared to the top due to the difference in gravitational pull.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation is constantly happening in our everyday lives, but the effects are so small that they are not noticeable. However, with advanced technology, such as atomic clocks, we are able to measure these tiny differences in time due to time dilation. Additionally, astronauts in space experience time dilation, but the effect is only significant for long-term space travel at high speeds.