Time for astronaut to reach the satellite

In summary, the astronaut will reach the satellite in 12.3 hours if he travels at a relative linear speed of 1.5 times the distance between them.
Gebri Mishtaku
So I found this problem in my 10th grade Physics workbook and since its test time tomorrow I must be able to work everything out. The problem I'm having here is just the calculations which give me a time short of one hour from the answer on the book. Anysways, please have a go:

Homework Statement

An astronaut is flying on a shuttle that's on the same orbit(400 km above the surface of Earth) as a satellite that he needs to repair. He is 50 km behind the satellite and in order to reach it, the astronaut lowers his orbiting radius by 2 km. What is the time needed for the astronaut to reach the satellite?
It doesn't say anything about it being an aerial distance, so it must be taken to be circular.
G=6.67x10^-11Nm^2/kg^2
MEarth=6x10^24kg
REarth=6.4x10^6m

Homework Equations

The equation for the Law of Universal Attraction must be used and also that of the centripetal force and acceleration in circular motion:
Fc=mv^2/r and FG=(Gm1m2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried going around this problem calculating the relative linear speed of the astronaut to the satellite and then the time of approach would just be the ratio of the distance the astronaut had to travel relative to the satellite(50km) with the astronaut's relative linear velocity. I know I'm missing something here because my calculations(which in this problem are loathsome to be honest) come out ≈ 1.5 hours less than the answer on the book, which wouldn't surprise me if it was wrong because this book has plenty of mistakes in it.
Formula and answer are found in the attachment.

Attachments

• t.docx
    13.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It does not look good.
The expressions under square roots are accelerations (F/m). Taking the square root does not produce a velocity as you should have in order to get t from that formula.

Oh I am so sorry the formula for t had a writing mistake in it. I had wrote the R^2 in the denominator inside the square roots mistakenly. Now I reuploaded the attachment to amend it. I had calculated for R not R^2 though, so it's all fine in that aspect.

Using your numbers in your formula I get 12.3 hours, which is close the book's answer. Not sure how you get 10.7 hours.

TSny said:
Using your numbers in your formula I get 12.3 hours, which is close the book's answer. Not sure how you get 10.7 hours.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! For me, a physical problem ends when there is found a final formula that has everything known on the right side and the unknown on the left so as far as that goes I seem to be right. Getting a nice and clean formula in the end is the most exhilarating thing for me! The rest I think is computer-plug-and-chug. Thank you again for your time.

OK, Good work!

Likes 1 person

1. How long does it take for an astronaut to reach a satellite?

The time it takes for an astronaut to reach a satellite depends on several factors, such as the distance between the astronaut and the satellite, the speed of the spacecraft, and the trajectory of the flight. On average, it takes about 6-8 hours for an astronaut to reach a satellite in low Earth orbit.

2. What is the fastest time an astronaut has reached a satellite?

The fastest time an astronaut has reached a satellite is about 3 hours and 20 minutes, achieved by the Russian Soyuz spacecraft in 2013. However, this was a record for a manned spacecraft, and unmanned spacecraft have reached satellites in much shorter times.

3. How do astronauts reach a satellite?

Astronauts typically reach a satellite by launching from Earth in a spacecraft, such as a rocket or shuttle. They then use thrusters and other propulsion systems to navigate towards the satellite, adjusting their trajectory as needed to reach their target.

4. What is the average distance an astronaut travels to reach a satellite?

The average distance an astronaut travels to reach a satellite is about 402 kilometers, as most satellites are in low Earth orbit at this distance. However, some satellites may be located at higher altitudes, requiring astronauts to travel further to reach them.

5. Are there any risks involved in an astronaut's journey to a satellite?

Yes, there are some risks involved in an astronaut's journey to a satellite. Launching from Earth and traveling through space can expose astronauts to high levels of radiation, and there is also a risk of collisions with debris or other spacecraft. However, these risks are carefully managed and minimized through training and safety protocols.