Time for Non-Uniform Acceleration

In summary, the problem is trying to find the time it takes for a vehicle to travel 200 feet with a non-constant acceleration of 32.17 m/s^2 in a linear y=mx line. Using kinematics is not applicable, so calculus and differential equations may be needed. The acceleration is linear, but the velocity will be exponential. There is not enough information to find a function, as only x1=0, x2=200, a1=0, and a2=32.17 are known. Clarification is needed on what the acceleration varies linearly with and if the body has an initial velocity.
classi
I've been trying to figure out this seemingly simple problem for a theoretical project I'm doing, but can't figure it out.

Homework Statement

This isn't real, but say that a vehicle travels from 0 to 200 feet linearly at a non-constant acceleration of 32.17 m/s^2 (1g), but the acceleration is in a linear y=mx line. Ignoring friction forces, how long did it take to travel that 200 feet?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can't use kinematics because it's a non-constant acceleration, so I'll probably have to use calculus and differential equations. I know that the graph of velocity will be exponential, and acceleration will be linear. I don't know any times so I can't take the integral.

I know: x1=0, x2=200, a1=0, a2=32.17, but that's about it.

Any ideas on how I can tackle this problem without a function?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it might help if you stated the problem. The acceleration varies linearly with what? displacement ? time? If a1 is zero why will the body start moving? Does it have a velocity?

What is time for non-uniform acceleration?

Time for non-uniform acceleration refers to the amount of time it takes for an object to change its velocity while experiencing varying levels of acceleration.

How is time for non-uniform acceleration calculated?

Time for non-uniform acceleration can be calculated using the formula t = (vf - vi) / a, where t is time, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and a is acceleration.

What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration refers to a constant change in velocity over time, while non-uniform acceleration refers to a changing acceleration over time.

What are some examples of non-uniform acceleration?

Examples of non-uniform acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a rocket launching into space, and a roller coaster going up and down hills.

Why is time for non-uniform acceleration important?

Time for non-uniform acceleration is important because it helps us understand and analyze the motion of objects in real-world situations, such as in physics and engineering applications.