Time From Slipping to Rolling Motion

In summary, the problem involves determining the time after which a solid cylinder will perform pure rolling motion on a surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction. Two attempts at solving the problem are discussed, one using energy equations and the other using kinematics. The second approach is correct if the rolling resistance can be ignored.
Mr. Heretic

Homework Statement

EDIT: A solid homegeneous cylinder of mass M and radius R is moving on a surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction μ(k).
At t=0 the motion of the cylinder is purely translational with a velocity v(0) that is parallel to the surface and perpendicular to the central axis of the cylinder.
Determine the time t after which the cylinder performs pure rolling motion.

I've tried with energy equations to determine this and got a solution with the right units, but it seems fundamentally wrong in that for friction to do the work in converting translational to angular velocity there must be a loss of energy, right?
Will detail as "Attempt 1"

Also tried with simple kinematics and got another solution with the right units, but after doing it I realized that kinematics make all sorts of assumptions too, if mapping the trajectory of a projectile as a parabola ignores frction, then is this really any more valid?
will detail as "Attempt 2"

All thoughts and comments welcomed.

Homework Equations

E(kt) = 1/2 mv^2
E(ka) = 1/2 Iω^2

I = 1/2 MR^2

3. The attempts at a solution

Attempt 1:
E(kr i) + E(kt i) = E(kt f) + E(kr f)
0 + (1/2)mv(o)^2 = (1/2)mv(f)^2 + (1/2)Iω(f)^2
mv(o)^2 = mv(f)^2 + Iω(f)^2

No slipping at t (by definition) so v(f) = Rω(f)
mv(o)^2 = m(R^2)ω(f)^2 + Iω(f)^2

I = (1/2)mR^2
mv(o)^2 = m(R^2)ω(f)^2 + (1/2)m(R^2)ω(f)^2
v(o)^2 = (R^2)ω(f)^2 + (1/2)(R^2)ω(f)^2
v(o)^2 = (3/2)(R^2)ω(f)^2
ω(f) = √(2/3)v(o)/R

And ω(f) = ω(i) + αt
√(2/3)v(o)/R = ω(i) + αt

ω(i) = 0
t = √(2/3)v(o)/(Rα)

τ = Iα, α = τ/I
t = √(2/3)v(o)I/(Rτ)

τ = F(friction)R
F(friction) = μ(k)F(normal)
F(normal) = mg
τ = μ(k)mgR
t = √(2/3)v(o)I/(μ(k)mgR^2)

Again, I = (1/2)mR^2
t = (1/2)√(2/3)v(o)/(μ(k)g)
(1/2)√(2/3) = √(1/4)√(2/3) = √(1/6)

t = √(1/6)v(o)/(μ(k)g)Attempt 2:

v = v(i) + at
ω = ω(i) + αt

Determining variables:
v(i) = v(0)

a = F(f)/M = F(n)μ(k)/M = μ(k)g
But it's acting in the negative direction as velocity must be decreasing, so -μ(k)g

ω(i) = 0

α = τ/I
τ = F(f)R = μ(k)MgR
I = (1/2)MR^2
So α = (μ(k)MgR)/((1/2)MR^2) = 2μ(k)g/R

Plugging them in:
v = v(o) - μ(k)gt
ω = 2μ(k)gt/R

Condition of rolling: v = ωR -> v/R = ω
Equating and solving:
(v(o) - μ(k)gt)/R = 2μ(k)gt/R
v(o) - μ(k)gt = 2μ(k)gt
v(o) = 3μ(k)gt

t = v(o) / ( 3 μ(k) g )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Heretic said:

Homework Statement

... friction to do the work in converting translational to angular velocity there must be a loss of energy, right?

Hi, I am not sure I understand your problem statement exactly but this is not necessarily the case. For example a drum pure rolling down an incline. The translational energy loss from friction is exactly made up by the rotational kinetic energy gained from the torque, so that the system is not dissipative.

Thanks for responding.
And sorry, I didn't have enough time to word it perfectly on account of needing to attend a lecture, I'll find the original wording and edit the first post.

As for energy loss, I'd treat that as a special case.
With this there is definitely slipping, and non-zero relative velocity between the surfaces + friction --> heat generation.

If you want to solve the problem with work-energy theorem, then the work done by friction equals the change of KE: both translational and rotational. The energy is not conserved. You get a relation between final speed and distance travelled, but you need the time.

The second approach is correct if the rolling resistance can be ignored.

ehild

From a quick wiki, rolling resistance would rely on deformation of the cylinder or the surface.
Based on the low level at which we've studied friction so far, I'll venture it can be ignored in this problem.
Will go with the second method, cheers. :]

Last edited:

1. How is "time from slipping to rolling motion" measured?

The time from slipping to rolling motion is typically measured in seconds using a stopwatch or other timing device. This is done by starting the timer when the object first starts to slip and stopping it when it transitions to rolling motion.

2. What factors affect the time from slipping to rolling motion?

The time from slipping to rolling motion can be affected by several factors, including the surface properties of the object and the surface it is slipping on, the weight and shape of the object, and the applied force or torque on the object.

3. Does the time from slipping to rolling motion vary for different objects?

Yes, the time from slipping to rolling motion can vary for different objects due to differences in their properties such as weight, shape, and surface properties. Objects with larger surface areas or higher friction coefficients may take longer to transition to rolling motion compared to smaller, smoother objects.

4. How does friction play a role in the time from slipping to rolling motion?

Friction is a key factor in the time from slipping to rolling motion. The greater the friction between the object and the surface it is slipping on, the longer it will take for the object to transition to rolling motion. This is because more force is required to overcome the resistance of friction.

5. Can the time from slipping to rolling motion be calculated?

Yes, the time from slipping to rolling motion can be calculated using the equation t = (I * α) / τ, where t is time, I is the moment of inertia, α is the angular acceleration, and τ is the applied torque. However, this calculation may only be accurate for idealized situations and may not account for real-world factors like surface roughness and irregularities.