Time-independent SE linear combination solution help

In summary: This is true for any linear differential equation.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Time Independent Schrodinger Equation (TISE) and the solution for ##\Psi (x,t)##. The conversation also touches upon the use of a linear combination to solve the equation and the definition of ##E## as the constant term in the solution.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am trying to derive the TISE, but I am having many questions, and the textbook (Griffiths) does not give any adequate explanation and I have minimal access to my professor. My goal is to find ##\Psi (x,t)##. The book says the solution is

$$ \Psi (x,t) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_{n} \psi_{n}(x) exp(\frac {-iE_{n}t}{\hbar}) $$

So I start with the general SE (I am just taking this as a fact since the first page of Griffiths puts this equation and says its right)

$$ i \hbar \frac {\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {\partial^{2} \Psi}{\partial x^{2}} + V \Psi $$

I can separate ##\Psi (x,t) = \psi (x) f(t)## and substitute

$$ i \hbar \frac {\partial [\psi (x) f(t)]}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {\partial^{2} [\psi (x) f(t)]}{\partial x^{2}} + V [\psi (x) f(t)]$$

Then divide by ##\psi (x) f(t)## in order to have the potential, ##V##, stand alone

$$ i \hbar \frac {1}{f} \frac {\partial [f(t)]}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {1}{\psi (x)} \frac {\partial^{2} [\psi (x)]}{\partial x^{2}} + V $$

Now comes the first question. Griffiths says (without explanation)

$$ i \hbar \frac {1}{f(t)} \frac {\partial [f(t)]}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {1}{\psi (x)} \frac {\partial^{2} [\psi (x)]}{\partial x^{2}} + V = E $$

Now, what exactly is ##E##? Is this "equality" actually just a definition, such that ##E## is just defined this way? Also, does ##E## stand for "energy"?

Anyways, they go on to find ##f(t)##, which with trivial integration is exponential, and ##f(t) = exp( \frac {-iE}{\hbar} t)##

So now I'm at this point, and I am not seeing how I will find ## \Psi (x,t) ##. I do know ## \Psi (x,t) = \psi (x) exp( \frac {-iE}{\hbar} t)## My guess is to try and substitute back into the SE

$$ i \hbar \frac {\partial [\psi (x) exp( \frac {-iE}{\hbar} t)]}{\partial t} = - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {\partial^{2} [\psi (x) exp( \frac {-iE}{\hbar} t)]}{\partial x^{2}} + V [\psi (x) exp( \frac {-iE}{\hbar} t)] $$

Okay, well where the heck do I get this linear combination? This just got ugly, and the book doesn't show the steps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equality in your first question comes about because you have two functions, each dependent on a different variable, which are equal. The only way to get this is if both functions are equal to something that depends on neither variable i.e. a constant. The choice of calling this constant ##E## is made a posteriori and does indeed refer to energy.

I'm afraid I can't remember how to answer your second question, which is a shame since I only learned it last year out of the same textbook!

Anyone know how to make that critical step to go from the differential equation to a solution that is an infinite series?

The solution constructed as an infinite series is derived from the linearity of the Schroedinger equation. If you found two solutions then any linear combination of the two solutions is a solution of the Schroedinger equation.

Related to Time-independent SE linear combination solution help

What is the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

The time-independent Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is used to determine the energy and wavefunction of a quantum system.

What is the linear combination solution?

The linear combination solution is a method used to solve the time-independent Schrodinger equation for a quantum system. It involves combining multiple wavefunctions with different coefficients to create a solution that satisfies the equation.

Why is the time-independent Schrodinger equation important?

The time-independent Schrodinger equation is important because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It allows scientists to make predictions about the energy levels and wavefunctions of particles, which is crucial for understanding the properties and behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

What is the significance of the energy eigenvalue in the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

The energy eigenvalue in the time-independent Schrodinger equation represents the allowed energy levels of a quantum system. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The energy eigenvalue helps to determine the overall energy of a system and is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum particles.

Can the time-independent Schrodinger equation be applied to all quantum systems?

The time-independent Schrodinger equation can be applied to most quantum systems, including atoms, molecules, and particles. However, it is not applicable to systems with relativistic effects, such as high-speed particles, and it does not take into account the effects of gravity.