Time it take to hear a stone

• Thread starter ahrog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the person drops a stone 122.5 m deep into a mine shaft and wants to know how soon she will hear it hit the bottom. Using the equation d/t=wf, the time for the stone to fall can be calculated as 5 seconds. The time for the sound to return can be found by dividing the distance (122.5m) by the speed of sound (343m/s), resulting in a time of 0.357 seconds. Adding these two times together, the person will hear the stone hit the bottom after approximately 5.357 seconds.
ahrog

Homework Statement

Someone drops a stone into a mine shaft 122.5 m deep. How soon after she drops the stone does she hear it hit the bottom of the shaft?

Homework Equations

v= wavelength x frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I changed the equation to be:
d/t=wf
t=d/wf
t=122.5m/(343m/s x f)

And I'm stuck there...I don't get how to get the frequency

My textbook doesn't even refer to something like this, so I'm extremely confused...It's like asking someone about something they've never learned before...

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to figure the time for it to fall 122.5m, then add the time for the sound to return.

Δt = D/Vsound

I got the falling part time to be 5 seconds.

And for the time for the sound to return, how do I figure that out? If the velocity for the sound is wavelength x frequency which I have only the wavelength, how can I find the time?

t=122.5m/(343m/s x f)
Here f in not needed. time = distance/velocity.

1. How long does it take to hear a stone?

The time it takes to hear a stone depends on several factors such as the distance from the source of the sound, the size and shape of the stone, and the medium through which the sound travels. On average, it takes about 0.2 seconds for sound to travel 65 feet, so it may take a few seconds for the sound of a stone to reach your ears if it was thrown from a considerable distance.

2. Why does it take longer to hear a stone thrown from a distance?

This is due to the speed of sound in air and the distance the sound waves have to travel. Sound travels at about 343 meters per second in air, so the farther the stone is from you, the longer it will take for the sound waves to reach your ears. Additionally, sound waves can be affected by obstacles or changes in air temperature, which can also impact the time it takes for the sound to reach you.

3. Can the type of stone affect the time it takes to hear it?

Yes, the type of stone can affect the time it takes to hear it. This is because different types of stones have varying densities and shapes, which can affect how the sound waves travel through them. For example, a flat and dense stone may produce a louder and clearer sound than a round and porous stone, resulting in a shorter time for the sound to reach your ears.

4. Does the environment affect how long it takes to hear a stone?

Yes, the environment can have a significant impact on the time it takes to hear a stone. For instance, if the stone is thrown in an open field with no obstacles, the sound waves can travel more easily and reach your ears faster compared to if it was thrown in a crowded and noisy area where the sound waves can be distorted or blocked by other objects.

5. Is there a way to calculate the exact time it takes to hear a stone?

While there are various factors that can affect the time it takes to hear a stone, there are equations that can estimate the approximate time it would take for sound to travel a certain distance. However, it is challenging to calculate the exact time as it can vary depending on the specific conditions and variables involved.