Sound: Stones falling from cliffs

In summary, the stone was dropped from a cliff and the splash it made was heard 2.1 seconds later. The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s. The cliff is 20 meters high.
Ritzycat

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from the top of a cliff. The splash it makes when striking the water below is heard 2.1s later. The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s. How high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

[tex]Δx=½at^2[/tex]
[tex]t_1+t_2=2.1s[/tex]
[tex]t_2=x/343m/s[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used those equations to mathematically solve for the value of x. However I was getting bizarre answers when I solved the system of equations. t1 or t2 should not be more than 2.1s, as that is the total time from when it was dropped and the sound traveled back up. I set down as negative, so I used -9.8 for a.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry but i don't understand why you used a as -9.8m/s², if you took that as your sign convention,then your first equation would be,
-x=½(-9.8)t₁².
Post your calculation, you should be getting an equation with √x and x.

after some manipulation/substitution

[tex]343/t_2=0.5(9.8)(2.1-t_2)^2[/tex]

[tex]t_2=5.6s[/tex]

T2 being the amount of time it takes for the sound to travel back up to the top of the cliff. It should not be a longer amount of time than the time it takes for the stone to fall AND for the sound to come back up. (2.1s) I don't know what's wrong here!

Do you think 343/t2 has the dimension of a distance ? If sound travels 343 m/s, does it go 171.5 m in 2 seconds ?

Ritzycat said:
after some manipulation/substitution

[tex]343/t_2=0.5(9.8)(2.1-t_2)^2[/tex]

[tex]t_2=5.6s[/tex]

T2 being the amount of time it takes for the sound to travel back up to the top of the cliff. It should not be a longer amount of time than the time it takes for the stone to fall AND for the sound to come back up. (2.1s) I don't know what's wrong here!

This is a bit tricky. Can you estimate what h is?

Dear Ritz,

Physics is also about gut feeling. If something falls less than 2.1 seconds, it doesn't fall much further than ##{1\over 2}\; 9.81 \; 2^2 \approx 20## meter. So t2 is really small. If you get 5.6 seconds, you know it's wrong.

You knew it was wrong anyway, right ? I saw you write t1 + t2 = 2.1 somewhere and I don't think going back in time is in order here :wink:

What causes the sound of stones falling from cliffs?

The sound of stones falling from cliffs is caused by the collision and friction between the stones as they tumble and bounce off of each other and the cliff surface.

Why do larger stones make a louder sound when falling from cliffs?

Larger stones make a louder sound when falling from cliffs because they have more mass and therefore produce more force upon impact, resulting in a louder sound.

Why does the sound of stones falling from cliffs change depending on the height of the cliff?

The sound of stones falling from cliffs changes depending on the height of the cliff because the higher the cliff, the longer the distance the stones have to travel before hitting the ground, resulting in a longer and potentially louder sound.

Can the material of the stones or the cliff affect the sound of stones falling?

Yes, the material of both the stones and the cliff can affect the sound of stones falling. Harder materials, such as granite, will produce a sharper and louder sound compared to softer materials like sandstone.

Is the sound of stones falling from cliffs different in different environments?

Yes, the sound of stones falling from cliffs can vary depending on the environment. For example, the sound may be amplified in a narrow canyon compared to an open field due to the reflection and reverberation of sound waves.