Time period of a torsional pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about investigating the factors that affect the time period of a torsional pendulum. The factors being changed include the mass, length, type, and thickness of the pendulum's wire. The formula T=2∏√(I/k) is being used, but the torsional constant of the wire is unknown. One recommendation is to use the equation k = G*J/L, where G is the shear modulus and J is the moment of inertia. The conversation also mentions a specific clock that runs for a year without winding but is sensitive to temperature.
jackdean29
For a piece of practical work, I'm investigating which factors alter the time period of a torsional pendulum.

So far, I'm changing the mass of the pendulum, the length of wire, type of wire and thickness of wire, can anyone recommend anything else?

Also, I'm looking at the formula T=2∏√(I/k) where I is the moment of inertia and k is the torsional constant of the wire, but have absolutely no idea where to find the torsional constant of the wire, any ideas?

Thankyou so much! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have one anniversary clock that is a pendulum type and runs for a year without winding. It is sensitive to temperature. But that has the effect of lengthening the support wire. The wire that twists in the clock I have is flat, not round.

k = G*J/L
G is the shear modulus.

Related to Time period of a torsional pendulum

1. What is a torsional pendulum?

A torsional pendulum is a type of mechanical system that consists of a pendulum suspended from a fixed point by a flexible wire or rod. Instead of swinging back and forth like a traditional pendulum, a torsional pendulum rotates around its axis in a circular motion.

2. How is the time period of a torsional pendulum calculated?

The time period of a torsional pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/k), where T is the time period, π is a constant, I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum, and k is the torsional constant of the wire or rod.

3. What factors affect the time period of a torsional pendulum?

The time period of a torsional pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length and material of the pendulum wire or rod, the mass and shape of the pendulum, and the strength of the gravitational field.

4. How is the time period of a torsional pendulum experimentally determined?

The time period of a torsional pendulum can be experimentally determined by measuring the time it takes for the pendulum to complete a certain number of rotations and using the formula T = (t/n), where T is the time period, t is the total time, and n is the number of rotations.

5. What are the applications of a torsional pendulum?

Torsional pendulums have various applications in science and engineering, including measuring the moments of inertia of objects, studying the effects of gravity and other forces on rotational motion, and as precise timekeeping devices in clocks and watches.