Time required store half the maximum energy in an inductor

In summary, the question asks how long it will take for the energy stored in an inductor to reach one-half of its maximum value in a RL circuit with a 35.0 V battery, 50 Ω resistor, and 1.25 mH inductor. Using the formula ##i(t)=I_0(1- e^{\frac{-tR}{L}})##, the time is calculated to be 30.7 µs, which is the same as the textbook answer. The incorrect formula ##i(t)=I_0 e^{\frac{-tR}{L}}## was initially used, which resulted in a different answer.
prodo123

Homework Statement

A 35.0 V battery with negligible internal resistance, a 50 Ω resistor and a 1.25 mH inductor forms a RL circuit. How long will it take for the energy stored in the inductor to reach one-half of its maximum value?

Homework Equations

##i(t)=I_0 e^{\frac{-tR}{L}}##
##U(t)=\frac{1}{2}Li(t)^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

##U=\frac{1}{2}Li^2=\frac{1}{2}U_0##
##\frac{1}{2}Li^2=\frac{1}{4}LI_0^2##
##i^2=\frac{1}{2}I_0^2##
##i=I_0 e^{\frac{-tR}{L}}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}I_0##
##\frac{-tR}{L}=\text{ln}(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}})=-\frac{1}{2}\text{ln}(2)##
##t=\frac{L}{2R}\text{ln}(2)##
##t=8.66\text{ µs}##

Textbook has the following answer:
##t=30.7\text{ µs}##

Am I doing something wrong? The same method worked for finding how long it takes for the current to reach half the maximum value ##I_0=\frac{\mathcal{E}}{R}##.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How is the "half maximum energy" of an inductor defined?

The half maximum energy of an inductor is the point at which the inductor has released half of its stored energy. This can also be referred to as the "half-life" of the inductor.

2. What factors affect the time required to store half the maximum energy in an inductor?

The time required to store half the maximum energy in an inductor depends on the inductance value, the current flow, and the resistance of the circuit. These factors can affect the rate at which the inductor stores energy.

3. How can the time required to store half the maximum energy in an inductor be calculated?

The time required can be calculated using the formula T=2L/R, where T is the time in seconds, L is the inductance in henrys, and R is the resistance in ohms.

4. Can the time required to store half the maximum energy in an inductor be changed?

Yes, the time required can be changed by altering the inductance value, the current flow, or the resistance in the circuit. These changes can affect the rate at which the inductor stores energy.

5. Why is it important to understand the time required to store half the maximum energy in an inductor?

Understanding the time required to store half the maximum energy in an inductor is important in order to predict and control the behavior of inductors in circuits. It can also help in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes.