Time Series: Partial Autocorrelation Function (PACF)

In summary: So, if you add a constant to the series, it won't affect the covariance matrix, hence, the PACF should be the same. In summary, the partial autocorrelation functions of (i) and (ii) are the same because the constant term does not affect the covariance matrix used in the calculation.
kingwinner
Consider a stationary AR(2) process:
Xt - Xt-1 + 0.3Xt-2 = 6 + at
where {at} is white noise with mean 0 and variance 1.
Find the partial autocorrelation function (PACF).

I searched a number of time series textbooks, but all of them only described how to find the PACF for an ARMA process with mean 0 (i.e. without the constant term). So if the constant term "6" above wasn't there, then I know how to find the PACF, but how about the case WITH the constant term "6" as shown above?

I'm guessing that (i) and (ii) below would have the same PACF, but I'm just not so sure. So do they have the same PACF? Can someone explain why?
(i) Xt - Xt-1 + 0.3Xt-2 = 6 + at
(ii) Xt - Xt-1 + 0.3Xt-2 = at

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, (i) and (ii) have the same autocorrelation functions. Correlation coefficients are defined based on mean-centered deviations, so changes in the means only of the correlated values have no effect on the correlation.

pmsrw3 said:
Yes, (i) and (ii) have the same autocorrelation functions. Correlation coefficients are defined based on mean-centered deviations, so changes in the means only of the correlated values have no effect on the correlation.
I see. How about the PARTIAL autocorrelation functions of (i) and (ii)? Are they the same? Why or why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_autocorrelation_function
http://fedc.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/xplore/tutorials/sfehtmlnode59.html

Thanks!

kingwinner said:
I see. How about the PARTIAL autocorrelation functions of (i) and (ii)? Are they the same? Why or why not?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_autocorrelation_function
http://fedc.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/xplore/tutorials/sfehtmlnode59.html
I wasn't familiar with this, but based on those links, it should be the same. In particular, if you look at the second, the correction from ACF to PACF is calculated from the covariance matrix. Covariances, like correlations, are mean-corrected.

I would like to clarify that the PACF is a statistical tool used to measure the correlation between a time series and its lagged values, while taking into account the effects of other variables. It is often used to identify the order of an autoregressive (AR) process.

In the given stationary AR(2) process, we have a constant term "6" added to the equation. This constant term does not affect the order of the process, which is still AR(2). Therefore, the PACF for both (i) and (ii) would be the same.

The reason for this is that the constant term does not have any effect on the correlation between the time series and its lagged values. The PACF only takes into account the correlation between the time series and its lagged values, not the overall mean or level of the series.

In conclusion, the PACF for both (i) and (ii) would be the same, as the constant term does not alter the order of the AR process.

1. What is the Partial Autocorrelation Function (PACF) in time series analysis?

The Partial Autocorrelation Function (PACF) is a statistical method used to identify the strength and direction of the relationship between a time series data point and its lagged values. It measures the correlation between a data point and its lagged values after controlling for the effects of the intermediate lags.

2. How is the PACF different from the Autocorrelation Function (ACF)?

The Autocorrelation Function (ACF) measures the correlation between a data point and its lagged values without controlling for the effects of intermediate lags. On the other hand, the PACF removes the effects of intermediate lags to focus on the direct relationship between a data point and its lagged values.

3. Why is the PACF important in time series analysis?

The PACF is important in time series analysis because it helps to identify the order of autoregressive (AR) models. These models use past values of the time series to predict future values, and the PACF helps to determine which lagged values should be included in the model. It also helps to identify the presence of serial correlation in the data.

4. How is the PACF calculated?

The PACF is calculated using the partial correlation coefficient between a data point and its lagged values. This coefficient is calculated after controlling for the effects of intermediate lags using a linear regression model. The result is a set of PACF values, with each value representing the correlation between the data point and a specific lagged value.

5. How can the PACF be interpreted?

The PACF values range from -1 to 1, with 1 indicating a strong positive correlation and -1 indicating a strong negative correlation. A PACF value of 0 indicates no correlation. The significant PACF values, those that fall outside the confidence interval, indicate the number of lags to be included in the AR model. A decreasing trend in the PACF values also suggests a decay in the autocorrelation, indicating stationarity in the time series data.