Time taken for free falling objects to travel a set distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the time taken for a free-falling object to fall a set distance, which is t = √(2d/g). The conversation also touches on other kinematics equations and the process of deriving the equation. The participants mention using prior knowledge and resources such as Wikipedia and exam solutions to understand and learn about physics and kinematics.
Jude Caird
The time taken for a free-falling object to fall a set distance (on earth) is, according to Wikipedia, described by the equation:

t = √(2d/g).

Why is the distance doubled in this equation/ how is this derived?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any of the standard kinematics equations for a constant acceleration?

K = 1/2mv2?

Jude Caird said:
K = 1/2mv2?

That's not a good answer!

Sorry for my ignorance.

Jude Caird said:
Sorry for my ignorance.

Have you just picked up this formula from Wikipedia without any prior knowledge or are you learning some physics/kinematics?

I am interested in orbital mechanics etc. I have a suitable understanding of physics and kinematics and the formulae associated with gravity. I tried to derive the formula from my own knowledge, but failed.

Jude Caird said:
I am interested in orbital mechanics etc. I have a suitable understanding of physics and kinematics and the formulae associated with gravity. I tried to derive the formula from my own knowledge, but failed.

You've never seen the equation ##s = \frac{1}{2}at^2## then?

PeroK said:
no

PeroK said:
Is that what it's derived from?

Jude Caird said:
Is that what it's derived from?

Yes, you could google for SUVAT or "kinematics". Or, try this:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/mechanics/kinematics/suvat/derivation/tutorial-1.php

Last edited by a moderator:
PeroK said:
Yes, you could google for SUVAT or "kinematics". Or, try this:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/mechanics/kinematics/suvat/derivation/tutorial-1.php
Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the mass of an object affect its time taken to fall a set distance?

The mass of an object does not affect the time taken for it to fall a set distance. This is because all objects, regardless of their mass, experience the same acceleration due to gravity.

2. Does the height from which an object is dropped affect its falling time?

Yes, the height from which an object is dropped does affect its falling time. The greater the height, the longer the object will take to fall. This is because the object will have more time to accelerate due to gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating the time taken for an object to fall a set distance?

The formula for calculating the time taken for an object to fall a set distance is t = √(2d/g), where t is time, d is distance, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

4. How does air resistance affect the falling time of an object?

Air resistance can affect the falling time of an object by slowing it down. However, for most objects, air resistance is negligible and does not significantly impact the time taken to fall a set distance.

5. Is the time taken for a free falling object to travel a set distance affected by the shape or size of the object?

No, the time taken for a free falling object to travel a set distance is not affected by the shape or size of the object. This is because all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity, regardless of their shape or size.