Time taken to start pure rolling

In summary: In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time after which pure rolling starts for a solid sphere of radius R set into motion on a rough horizontal surface with given linear and angular velocities. The equations needed for solving the problem are also provided. The attempt at a solution involves analyzing the effects of friction and determining the time when the sphere's angular velocity becomes zero. The mistake in the approach is identified and a revised solution is proposed. The assumption of 'forward direction' is also mentioned and its potential interpretation in different languages is discussed.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of radius R is set into motion on a rough horizontal surface with a linear speed v0 in forward direction and angular speed ω0##=\frac{v_0}{2R}## in counter clockwise direction. Find time after which pure rolling starts.

Homework Equations

For pure rolling, ##v=\omega R##
##\tau=I\alpha##
##I=\frac{2}{5}mR^2##
##f=\mu N##
(N is normal reaction)

The Attempt at a Solution

Friction acts in backward direction (opposite to velocity) to change the direction of rotation.
First, the angular velocity and linear velocity decreases.
Then the angular velocity becomes zero but the sphere still has a velocity.
Then the angular velocity increases in opposite directions till ##\omega=v/R##

##f=\mu mg##
##\alpha=\frac{5\mu g}{2R}##
##a=\mu g##

Time taken for angular velocity to become zero ##t_0=\frac{v_0}{5\mu g}##
Velocity at ##t_0## is ##v=\frac{4v_0}{5}##
After that, ##\omega## increases from 0 to ##v/R##
##\frac{4v_0}{5R}-\frac{\mu gt}{R}=\frac{5\mu g}{2R}t##
This gives ##t=\frac{8v_0}{35\mu g}## which is incorrect. What is the mistake in my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good. Did you combine the two times to get the total time?

Likes Titan97
You don't state what ##t_0## is but it appears you are intending it to mark the time when the sphere's angular velocity is zero.

That's likely to cause you problems because the question wants the time since the beginning of the experiment, not from the time of zero angular velocity. I think your final answer measures ##t## as time since ##t_0##, which is not what the question is asking for. I suggest you re-label, calling the beginning of the experiment ##t_0## (which matches the label ##v_0##), the time of zero rotation ##t_1## and the time of commencing rolling ##t_2##. The question asks for ##t_2-t_0##.

Likes Titan97
I got the correct answer now @TSny
@andrewkirk , the equation came from ##\frac{v}{R}=\omega##.
##v=v'-\mu gt##, ##\omega=\alpha t=\frac{5\mu g}{2R}t##
##t## is measured since ##t_0##. I forgot about that.
I could have avoided finding ##t_0## and used two equations ##v=v_0-\mu gt##, ##\omega=-\omega_0+\alpha t##.

Titan97 said:
I got the correct answer now @TSny
OK, good.
You don't need to break the problem up into two parts. The linear and angular accelerations are constant during the whole time. So, you can set up the equations to take you all the way from initial conditions to the final time.

Likes Titan97
It's interesting to note that the question assumes, with no justification, that the reader will interpret 'forward direction' to mean 'from left to right'. That assumption turned out to be accurate in this case, with the three people that looked at the problem all assuming it meant from left to right.

I wonder though, whether in a country where writing goes from right to left - such as in Arabic, Urdu or Farsi - it would typically be interpreted as meaning the sphere was moving from right to left, in which case the answer would be a much shorter time.

Likes Titan97
A picture is given. But its small.

t = v0/3μg
after this time, ball will start pure rolling

Related to Time taken to start pure rolling

1. What is meant by pure rolling?

Pure rolling is a type of motion where an object moves without slipping or sliding. This means that the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on is always at rest.

2. How is the time taken to start pure rolling calculated?

The time taken to start pure rolling can be calculated using the equation: t = I/(mgR), where t is the time, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the object.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the time taken to start pure rolling?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the time taken to start pure rolling. As the mass increases, the time taken to start pure rolling also increases.

4. What factors affect the time taken to start pure rolling?

The time taken to start pure rolling is affected by the mass, moment of inertia, and radius of the object, as well as the acceleration due to gravity and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on.

5. Why is it important to understand the time taken to start pure rolling?

Understanding the time taken to start pure rolling is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and transportation. It helps in predicting the movement and behavior of rolling objects, and is crucial in designing and optimizing systems that involve rolling objects.