Time the Earth requires to go towards Pluto?

In summary, the question asks how long it would take for the Earth to reach an orbital distance from the Sun equal to the orbital radius of Pluto if the gravitational attraction between the two suddenly disappeared. The poster is struggling to find the speed at which the Earth would "escape" from its circular orbit around the Sun. Another user suggests using Pythagoras' theorem to find the orbital velocity.
Theivax

Homework Statement

Suppose that, suddendly, the gravitational attraction between the Earht and the Sun goes away.
How many time will the Earth require to reach an orbital distance from the Sun equal to the actual orbital radius of Pluto?
(Sun-Earth: 150*10^6 km; Sun-Pluto: 5900*10^6 km approximatively)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Earth run in an circular orbit around the sun, then once the attraction goes away, it should "escape" form it. But I can't figure out at what speed it would go away. How can I find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just at its orbital [STRIKE]speed[/STRIKE] velocity.

Technically it is not different from what happens when you rotate a puck on the string, and the string breaks.

Last edited:
Theivax said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that, suddendly, the gravitational attraction between the Earht and the Sun goes away.
How many time will the Earth require to reach an orbital distance from the Sun equal to the actual orbital radius of Pluto?
(Sun-Earth: 150*10^6 km; Sun-Pluto: 5900*10^6 km approximatively)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the Earth run in an circular orbit around the sun, then once the attraction goes away, it should "escape" form it. But I can't figure out at what speed it would go away. How can I find it?

It wouldn't go "straight" away (i.e. radially). Remember that orbital velocity is tangential.

Draw a diagram. You'll find a right triangle to which you can apply Pythagoras' theorem.

1. How long does it take for the Earth to travel to Pluto?

The time it takes for the Earth to travel to Pluto depends on the speed and distance between the two planets. On average, it takes about 9 years for a spacecraft to reach Pluto from Earth.

2. What is the fastest time a spacecraft has traveled to Pluto?

The fastest spacecraft to reach Pluto was NASA's New Horizons, which was launched in 2006 and reached Pluto in 2015. It traveled at a speed of about 36,000 miles per hour.

3. Can humans survive the journey to Pluto?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to survive the journey to Pluto. The distance is too far and the travel time is too long for humans to withstand the radiation and lack of resources needed for survival in space.

4. How does the Earth's orbit affect the time it takes to travel to Pluto?

The Earth's orbit around the sun does not significantly affect the time it takes to travel to Pluto. However, the alignment of the planets and gravitational pull can impact the trajectory and speed of a spacecraft.

5. Is there a way to travel to Pluto faster?

Currently, there is no known way to travel to Pluto faster than the speed of light. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that may one day make interplanetary travel faster and more efficient.