Time Theory in Astrophysics: How Is It Possible?

In summary: Scientists say that all time is happening at one time. How is this possible if the universe is still expanding?The statement "all time is happening at one time" doesn't seem to make any sense. As Chronos asked, please post a reference.
Hunter Brandon
I'm new to Astrophysics but some scientists say that all time is happening at one time. How is this possible if the universe is still expanding

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What scientists? Do you have a credible source for this claim?

The statement "all time is happening at one time" doesn't seem to make any sense. As Chronos asked, please post a reference.

Hunter Brandon said:
I'm new to Astrophysics but some scientists say that all time is happening at one time. How is this possible if the universe is still expanding
Are you referring to imaginary time? All imaginary time occurs in the present. If you think of regular time, where you can move forward into the future, or backward into the past, then imaginary time would allow you to move left or right through time, but only in the present.

|Glitch| said:
Are you referring to imaginary time? All imaginary time occurs in the present. If you think of regular time, where you can move forward into the future, or backward into the past, then imaginary time would allow you to move left or right through time, but only in the present.
What does "left or right through time" mean ?

That is if you consider time as every "NOW" slice; then the PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE exists at any moment. Someone who is, suppose 1 million light years away, just suppose, and is moving towards us / away from us, then THEIR "NOW" slice will be directed at our PAST or FUTURE. Therefore from this you can conclude theoretically that every slice of time is in a "NOW" slice and that the PAST and FUTURE is just an illusion which works within space-time, and everything is in "NOW" or PRESENT state, and including PAST and FUTURE that we believe.

phinds said:
Something like Interstellar? I admit, I'm equally confused.

PWiz said:
Something like Interstellar? I admit, I'm equally confused.
I haven't seen Interstellar, and I don't take my physics from movies so that doesn't clear things up.

I think "left or right" as in past and future?

Shafat Hasan said:
I think "left or right" as in past and future?
No, that's forwards and backwards. I don't think "left and right" has any meaning regarding time, which is why I asked glitch what he means

phinds said:
I haven't seen Interstellar, and I don't take my physics from movies so that doesn't clear things up.
Yeah, I was just saying that "left" and "right" in time doesn't make much sense to me either (I wasn't asking you to borrow flawed sci-fi physics:P ).

PWiz said:
Yeah, I was just saying that "left" and "right" in time doesn't make much sense to me either (I wasn't asking you to borrow flawed sci-fi physics:P ).
OK, gotcha.

Shafat Hasan said:
That is if you consider time as every "NOW" slice; then the PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE exists at any moment. Someone who is, suppose 1 million light years away, just suppose, and is moving towards us / away from us, then THEIR "NOW" slice will be directed at our PAST or FUTURE. Therefore from this you can conclude theoretically that every slice of time is in a "NOW" slice and that the PAST and FUTURE is just an illusion which works within space-time, and everything is in "NOW" or PRESENT state, and including PAST and FUTURE that we believe.

That's not quite right, as there are some constraints on what events can be placed in a space-like surface of simultaneity (what you're calling a "NOW slice"). There are many ways of slicing spacetime up so that unrelated events that are simultaneous to one observer but not another (google for "Einstein train relativity of simultaneity" to see how people moving at different speeds relative to one another have different NOWs) but no way of slicing it up so that an effect can ever precede a cause. If you google or search this forum for phrases like "light cone", "timelike", "spacelike", you'll find much good stuff.

phinds said:
Think of it as moving through different dimensions of time. It is also not a concept from any science fiction movie, but rather based upon Special Relativity and quantum mechanics.

Imaginary Time - Wikipedia

Wikipedia's example describes imaginary time as moving left into the past or right into the future, with imaginary time being up and down (the opposite of what I described), but the point of both our examples is that imaginary time moves perpendicular to regular time and is rooted in the present.

Related to Time Theory in Astrophysics: How Is It Possible?

1. What is Time Theory in Astrophysics?

Time Theory in Astrophysics is a branch of astrophysics that focuses on understanding the concept of time in the context of the universe. It explores how time behaves in different cosmic environments and how it is affected by factors such as gravity, velocity, and mass.

2. How is time measured in astrophysics?

In astrophysics, time is measured using a unit called the second, which is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom. This is the most precise way to measure time and is used in all astronomical calculations.

3. How does time dilation occur in astrophysics?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time can appear to move at different rates depending on the observer's relative motion and the strength of the gravitational field. In astrophysics, this is observed in objects that are moving at high speeds or in areas with strong gravitational fields, such as near black holes.

4. Can time travel be possible according to Time Theory in Astrophysics?

While some theories in astrophysics, such as the theory of wormholes, suggest the possibility of time travel, it is currently considered impossible based on our current understanding of the universe. The concept of time travel also raises many paradoxes and has not been observed or proven in any scientific experiments.

5. What are the implications of Time Theory in Astrophysics?

Time Theory in Astrophysics has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and how it evolves over time. It helps us understand the behavior of objects in extreme environments and provides valuable insights into the origins of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communication, which rely on precise measurements of time.