Is there any astro-field that uses QM or GR frequently?

In summary, many fields of astronomy, such as cosmology, astroparticle physics, stellar interiors, and compact objects, heavily rely on quantum mechanics and general relativity. In addition, there are ongoing experiments that aim to test the limits of these theories in the field of astrophysics.
physicist91
Hi all!

Happy New year!

I will select my supervisor soon but i want to involve in the field that uses QM or GR frequently

I love physics and i want to apply physics to explain astrophysical phenomenon.

I know that Compact objects and Astrochemistry use such physics but i wonder to know more

Is there any other astro-field that uses Modern physics very frequently in doing research?

How about ISM? I read some textbook written by Draine, and i found that statistical mechanics is very important and there are some of QM but i don't know precisely.

How about radio astronomy??

Thanks all and happy new year!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Many fields of astronomy use QM or GR frequently. The use of modern physics is very prevalent in astrophysics.

Some examples:
1. All of cosmology is heavily GR dependent.
2. Astroparticle physics (e.g. simulating/detecting neutrinos from astrophysical sources) is heavily QM dependent.
3. Stellar interiors involves nuclear physics which is again heavily QM dependent.
4. Compact objects (e.g. Neutron stars, black holes, etc.) and compact object mergers (see A-LIGO) is heavily GR dependent.

Beyond these fields, there's also a whole series of astrophysics based experiments designed to test the limits of QM and GR. For example, cosmic rays sometimes come in with far more energy than we are able to generate with our current particle colliders - giving us insight into high energy QM. Another example would be Gravity probe B which tested the Lense-Thirring effect using the Earth's gravitational field.

1. What is the relationship between quantum mechanics and general relativity in terms of astrophysics?

The relationship between quantum mechanics (QM) and general relativity (GR) is an ongoing topic of research in astrophysics. QM describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and is used to understand phenomena such as atomic structure and nuclear reactions. On the other hand, GR explains the force of gravity and how it affects the curvature of space-time. Both theories have been successful in their own domains, but they are incompatible when trying to describe extreme gravitational forces, such as those found in black holes. Efforts are being made to develop a unified theory that combines both QM and GR, known as quantum gravity, to better understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How does quantum mechanics play a role in the study of stars and galaxies?

QM plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of stars and galaxies. For example, the fusion reactions that power stars can only be explained by QM principles. Additionally, QM is used to study the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as the interiors of neutron stars, which have incredibly high densities. The study of quantum entanglement is also relevant in astrophysics, as it may help scientists understand the behavior of particles in distant parts of the universe.

3. Can quantum mechanics or general relativity be used to explain the expansion of the universe?

Both QM and GR play a role in explaining the expansion of the universe. QM is used to understand the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales, while GR describes how gravity affects the large-scale structure of the universe. Together, these theories help explain how the universe has evolved and expanded over time. However, there are still many unanswered questions, such as the role of dark energy, that require further research and may involve a combination of QM and GR principles.

4. Are there any astrophysical phenomena that can only be explained by both quantum mechanics and general relativity?

Yes, there are several phenomena that require both QM and GR to be fully understood. One example is the behavior of matter in black holes. While GR can explain the extreme gravitational forces that create black holes, QM is needed to understand the behavior of particles within the event horizon, where classical physics breaks down. Another example is the study of the early universe, where both QM and GR are needed to explain the initial conditions and evolution of the universe.

5. How do scientists incorporate quantum mechanics and general relativity into their astrophysical models?

Scientists use a combination of both QM and GR principles in their astrophysical models to better understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. This can involve using computational methods to solve complex equations that incorporate both theories, as well as experimental observations to test the predictions of these models. Collaborations between researchers in the fields of QM and GR are also important in developing a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.