Time travel using laser technology

In summary: If anyone wants to discuss the science, as we've said, they should start a thread in the appropriate subforum.In summary, Professor Ron Mallett's claims about time travel using lasers have been published in a paper from 2003. However, there have been numerous rebuttals to his work, which can be accessed through the main page of the arXiv website. The article discussing this topic on CNN is primarily focused on the human interest story and lacks in-depth discussion of the science. As a result, it is recommended to start a thread in the appropriate subforum for further discussion on the scientific aspect.
pinball1970
Gold Member
Professor Ron Mallett is claiming that time travel is possible using lasers. I've put this in general for a reason (I was considering putting this in the sci fi section)
Article here
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/time-travel-ron-mallett-scn/index.html
What I would like to ask is regarding his published work and rebuttals to it which are given in the article.
They are blank when I click. Ken Olum
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...iced in 2005 by Ken D. Olum and Allen Everett

Computer science news on Phys.org
Likes pinball1970
Tom.G said:
That link resolves to a 5 pg. article:
"Can a circulating light beam produce a time machine?", dated 17 Oct, 2004
https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0410078.pdf
Thanks ill have a look

Why do people post links directly to the PDF on arXiv and not the main page (which has the "cited by" link)? It's more work for a less useful answer. In this case, it's not pointing to the Mallett paper but rather the rebuttal. (And because its PDF one can't click on the "refers to" link to get the original paper)

The original paper is R. L. Mallett, Found. Phys. 33, 1307 (2003).

Note that it's sixteen years old. Also note that it was discussed contemporaneously here, as well as here and and here. And more. I would hope that any discussion now doesn't just rehash what was said before.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
I've put this in general for a reason...

And the reason is... you don't want any actual, real, verified, established science to be included in the discussion?

Zz.

Tom.G said:
That link resolves to a 5 pg. article:
"Can a circulating light beam produce a time machine?", dated 17 Oct, 2004
https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0410078.pdf

ZapperZ said:
And the reason is... you don't want any actual, real, verified, established science to be included in the discussion?

Zz.
No. Why would I do that?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do people post links directly to the PDF on arXiv and not the main page (which has the "cited by" link)? It's more work for a less useful answer. In this case, it's not pointing to the Mallett paper but rather the rebuttal. (And because its PDF one can't click on the "refers to" link to get the original paper)

The original paper is R. L. Mallett, Found. Phys. 33, 1307 (2003).

Note that it's sixteen years old. Also note that it was discussed contemporaneously here, as well as here and and here. And more. I would hope
This came out today I thought something else may have been published

CNN is not a terribly good source of science journalism. And as for time loops, they seem to be caught up in one, because it seems like every time I turn it on they are saying the latest news in Washington marks "the beginning of the end". :wink:

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
CNN is not a terribly good source of science journalism. And as for time loops, they seem to be caught up in one, because it seems like every time I turn it on they are saying the latest news in Washington marks "the beginning of the end". :wink:
Ok, mistake, I went for the human story.
Papers rebutting which I could not access and my search on here, feeble.
Not open to further replies thread closed.

Likes russ_watters
pinball1970 said:
No. Why would I do that?

Exactly! And your reason for posting in the GD forum is... ? You still haven't offered any.

Otherwise, you would have posted this in the proper forum that engages in actual physics content.

Zz.

pinball1970 said:
Ok, mistake, I went for the human story.
Papers rebutting which I could not access and my search on here, feeble.
Not open to further replies thread closed.

[separate post]
This came out today I thought something else may have been published
Yeah, the article is a little odd -- it's about 90% human interest story and very thin on even discussing the science at all. And it appears to be in the Travel section. Given the age of the paper, I don't see why CNN chose now to publish the story or what the point of the story even is. CNN is bad at science, but this is worse than normal, even for them.

Sure, we can close this.

1. How does time travel using laser technology work?

Time travel using laser technology is a theoretical concept that involves using intense laser beams to manipulate the fabric of space-time. The lasers would create a closed timelike curve, or a loop in time, which could potentially allow an object or person to travel back in time.

2. Is time travel using laser technology possible?

At this point, time travel using laser technology is still only a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. However, some scientists believe that with advancements in laser technology and a better understanding of the laws of physics, it may one day be possible.

3. What are the potential risks or consequences of time travel using laser technology?

One of the main risks of time travel using laser technology is the possibility of creating paradoxes, where the past is altered in a way that contradicts the present. This could have significant consequences and could potentially lead to the destruction of the universe. Additionally, the intense energy required for time travel could also have negative effects on the environment and on human health.

4. Are there any current experiments or research being done on time travel using laser technology?

While there have been some small-scale experiments using lasers to manipulate time, there is currently no major research being done on time travel using laser technology. Most scientists agree that more research and advancements in technology are needed before this concept can be seriously explored.

5. What are some potential applications of time travel using laser technology?

If time travel using laser technology were to become possible, it could have numerous applications in science, such as studying historical events first-hand, exploring the origins of the universe, and potentially even preventing disasters from occurring in the past. However, these applications are purely hypothetical and would require a thorough understanding of the consequences and risks involved.

Back