Tiny LEDs: What to Do With Them?

• Thread starter EE4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leds
In summary, these LEDs are too small to use, and need to be enlarged with a magnifying glass or some other tool before use. Soldering wires to them is a difficult task, and they stick to the solder on the iron.
EE4life
Engineering news on Phys.org
Next time, use the filter on the web page to select the type of packaging you want. For example "canister" will find parts that look more like

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/XSCWD43MB/1497-1041-ND/4745856

And look at the link to the data sheet before you buy. That will tell you the physical size etc, not just show you a picture. (I guess you expected your LEDs to be a lot bigger than they actually were).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you just have to put this one down to experience and remember to read the spec sheets of stuff before you buy.
(We have all been there.)

sophiecentaur said:
(We have all been there.)

Yeah. I once had the reverse problem, when I bought a set of neon tubes that could display numerical digits by mail order from a "pre-owned equipment" company. Like this:

Nixie2.gif

They worked fine, except they were HUGE - each tube was about 12 inches long and 3 inches diameter!

EE4life said:
Hi All,

The other day I ordered LED's from digikey to do some electrical experiments for fun, and to my surprise I got these: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SMLP12WBC7W1/511-1616-2-ND/1801991

They are literally too small to even hold. They are like the size of knat. What do I do with them?

Yeah, 0402 SMD parts are a pain to handle and solder manually, and that's when you have a PCB with the correct pad pattern!

Take a look at the "Surfboard" adapter boardlets: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/prototyping-products/adapter-breakout-boards/2360393

They give you a way to convert tiny SMT pad patterns to more standard 0.1" spacing through-hole pins for prototyping. I didn't see any specifically for adapting 0402 components at that page, but look at the other tiny parts that they do support, to see if adjacent pads for those parts are about 0.040" apart (for 0402 SMD parts).

Just be glad you didn't order something smaller.

0201-0402-0603_SMD_Chip-componenten.jpg

http://www.murata.com/new/news_release/2012/0905/images/ind_img02.jpg

nsaspook said:
Just be glad you didn't order something smaller.

I didn't know you could buy the components to build your own home cinema display, one pixel at a time :biggrin:

Now you know what a 0402 surface mount package is. Even soldering wires to them is tough. Heat one side and the other side comes unsoldered. And. they stick to the solder on your soldering iron (due to surface tension of molten solder). Good luck without a microscope, good soldering iron, and really steady hands.

The instructables idea of using duct tape when attaching wires is a good one. but 0402 is way smaller than what they were working with.

0402 to wire:

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the tips. I better watch what I buy next time.

1. What are Tiny LEDs?

Tiny LEDs, also known as micro LEDs, are small light emitting diodes that are typically less than 100 micrometers in size. They are similar to traditional LEDs but on a much smaller scale.

2. What are the benefits of using Tiny LEDs?

Tiny LEDs have several benefits, including low power consumption, high brightness, and high efficiency. They also have a longer lifespan and can be used in a variety of applications such as display screens, medical devices, and wearable technology.

3. How are Tiny LEDs made?

Tiny LEDs are typically made using a process called epitaxy, where layers of semiconductor materials are grown on a substrate. The layers are then patterned and etched to create individual LEDs. This process allows for precise control over the size and shape of the LEDs.

4. What are some potential uses for Tiny LEDs?

Tiny LEDs have a wide range of potential uses, including in display screens, lighting, medical devices, and wearable technology. They can also be used in automotive lighting, signage, and consumer electronics.

5. Are there any challenges to using Tiny LEDs?

One of the main challenges with Tiny LEDs is their small size, which can make them difficult to handle and integrate into devices. They also require precise manufacturing techniques and can be more expensive than traditional LEDs.