Tips on Becoming an Amateur Astronomer

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's interest in pursuing a career in amateur astronomy and their concerns about the job market and potential job prospects. They seek advice on how to become an astronomer and mention considering a 4-year degree at a university such as UW or UCSB. The conversation also mentions the low unemployment rate in the field of astronomy.
Cosmoz1223
Hi, I am kind of new to this forum and I am a sophmere in high school. So far my school has been interesting and I've recently been exposed to amateur astronomy. I've been at it for a year and half. In fact I've took it very seriously now. I kind of wanted it to be my career and I do have other alternatives while heading into college. But i looked at job prospects and i am tired of our economy and the way the job market is. What i wanted to do is get a 4 yr degree at some university and move on(my choice is UW or UCSB) and I just want some tips on becoming an astronomer. Any tips guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should make a post in the academic guidance and career guidance sections. Actually, there are probably posts about this already, so you may be able to do a search and find some recent ones.

Drakkith is totally right, but I just want to add that in fact Astronomy has one of the lowest unemployment rates amongst all the sciences (I believe less that 1%). But this is largely because (or so the article I read theorized) a degree in Astronomy gives you a wide degree of expertise in many fields, not necessarily that there are so many astronomical job positions out there.

Thank you guys. Yes, i can understand the unemployment it just sucks that astronomy is cool and exciting career field, yet their one of the lowest paid science careers, hmm..

Hi there,

First of all, I commend you for taking an interest in amateur astronomy and considering it as a potential career path. It's an exciting and constantly evolving field that offers endless opportunities for exploration and discovery.

To become an astronomer, the most important thing is to have a strong foundation in math and science. This means taking advanced courses in physics, calculus, and astronomy in high school and college. Additionally, it's important to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong attention to detail.

In terms of tips, here are a few that I would recommend:

1. Get involved in a local astronomy club or organization. This will give you the opportunity to meet and learn from experienced amateur astronomers and participate in group observations and projects.

2. Attend astronomy conferences and workshops. These events are a great way to network with professionals in the field and learn about the latest research and techniques.

3. Take advantage of online resources. There are many websites and online communities dedicated to amateur astronomy, where you can find information, ask questions, and connect with others who share your passion.

4. Consider getting a part-time job or internship at a local observatory or planetarium. This will give you hands-on experience and help you gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work of an astronomer.

5. Keep up with current events and advancements in the field. Subscribe to astronomy magazines and journals, follow reputable astronomy blogs and social media accounts, and attend public lectures and talks.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in the field for advice and guidance. Many astronomers are happy to share their knowledge and expertise with aspiring astronomers.

I wish you all the best on your journey to becoming an astronomer. Keep pursuing your passion and never stop learning. Good luck!

What equipment do I need to start stargazing?

To start off, all you really need is a pair of binoculars or a small telescope. As you advance, you may want to invest in a larger telescope, but it's not necessary for beginners.

Where is the best place to stargaze?

The best place to stargaze is in a location with minimal light pollution, such as a rural area or a designated dark sky park. You want to be in a place with a clear view of the sky, away from the glare of city lights.

How do I learn about the different constellations and stars?

There are many resources available to help you learn about the night sky. You can purchase a star atlas or download a stargazing app to your phone. There are also online astronomy courses and clubs that offer guidance and resources to amateur astronomers.

What is the best time to stargaze?

The best time to stargaze is on a clear and moonless night. This ensures that there is minimal light interference and you can see the stars and constellations more clearly. Some people also prefer to stargaze during specific astronomical events, such as meteor showers or planet alignments.

How can I contribute to scientific research as an amateur astronomer?

There are numerous citizen science projects that allow amateur astronomers to contribute to scientific research. These projects often involve observing and recording data on specific astronomical phenomena, such as variable stars or exoplanets. You can also share your observations with professional astronomers through platforms like the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO) or the International Meteor Organization (IMO).