Titration of thiosulphate with KIO3, molarity? PLEASE HELP

In summary, the conversation is about a student's confusion with an "Iodometric Titration of Copper in Brass" lab. They first made a thiosulphate solution and an approximately 0.02M KI03 solution. They then added these solutions to a flask and need to figure out the molarity of the Na2S2O3 solution. The conversation also mentions reaction equations and a helpful resource for the lab.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

I am so confused.

I am doing a "Iodometric Titration of Copper in Brass" lab.

We first made a thiosulphate solution by mixing 500 mL water, 12.5 g of Na2S203 * 5H20, and .05 g Na2CO3. This solution is "supposed" to come out to be about 0.1 M. My actual measurements were about 12.5002 g of Na2S2O3*5H20 and .0502 g Na2CO3.

We then made an approximately 0.02M KI03 solution where I mixed 2.1400g KIO3 dissolved in water to 500mL.

We then added 25.00 mL of this KIO3 solution to a flask, as well as 1mL concentrated HNO3 and 1g of KI. Then we titrated this with our Na2S2O3 solution.

I need to figure out the molarity of my Na2S2O3 (thiosulphate) solution, but I don't know how.

Someone please help my lab report is due tomorrow and I don't even know where to start and I'm starting to panic. :(

I can't do the rest of my report until I can figure this out.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! I didn't know these equations and my google searches were not helping me at all. This definitely clears up a lot!

Thank you! crisis averted! :)

1. What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another substance.

2. Why use thiosulphate and KIO3 in titration?

Thiosulphate (Na2S2O3) is used as a reducing agent to react with the iodine produced from the reaction between KIO3 and an acid. KIO3 is a strong oxidizing agent and reacts with the thiosulphate in a 1:3 ratio, making it ideal for titration.

3. How is molarity calculated in this titration?

Molarity is calculated by dividing the number of moles of a solute by the volume (in liters) of the solution. In this titration, the concentration of thiosulphate can be calculated by using the known molarity and volume of KIO3 used in the reaction.

4. What is the purpose of a back titration in this experiment?

A back titration is used to determine the amount of excess reagent remaining after the initial titration. In this experiment, the excess KIO3 is back titrated with a known concentration of thiosulphate to accurately determine the concentration of KIO3 used in the reaction.

5. How does the endpoint of the titration determine the molarity of thiosulphate?

The endpoint of the titration is reached when the color of the solution changes due to the addition of an indicator, signaling the completion of the reaction. The volume of thiosulphate added at the endpoint can be used to calculate the molarity of thiosulphate and, in turn, the concentration of the original solution.