Toaster Cord Tension Angle Optimization

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the angle at which a person should pull on an electric cord attached to a 1.26kg toaster in order to minimize the tension on the cord. The coefficient of static friction between the toaster and countertop is given as 0.395 and the relevant equation is F=ma. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and considering both the x and y components of the forces. It is important to be careful when deriving the equations and not to cancel out any unknown variables prematurely.
G.T

Homework Statement

A 1.26kg toaster is not plugged in. The coefficient of static friction between the toaster and a horizontal countertop is 0.395. To make the toaster start moving, you carelessly pull on its electric cord. For the cord tension to be as small as possible, you should pull at what angle above the horizontal?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fantastic 5

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using a regular F net equation, but was told that I need to derive somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw a free body diagram and be careful to consider x and y components of the vectors.

What is the y component of acceleration (therefore the net y component of force divided by mass)?

I have tried this, but it lead to me cancelling out my unknown? Is there a specific method/procedure that I should follow?

You did it wrong. Try again. Post vertical and horizontal equations here before you cancel anything out.

1. What is a "Toaster Chord Tension Problem"?

The toaster chord tension problem refers to a common issue where the chord of a toaster becomes tangled or twisted, making it difficult to use. This can be caused by various factors such as improper storage or regular wear and tear.

2. How do I fix a toaster chord tension problem?

The first step in fixing a toaster chord tension problem is to unplug the toaster from the power source. Then, carefully untangle the chord and straighten out any twists or knots. If the chord is damaged, it may need to be replaced by a professional.

3. Can I prevent a toaster chord tension problem?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to prevent a toaster chord tension problem. First, make sure to unplug the toaster when not in use and store the chord in a safe and organized manner. Additionally, avoid pulling or twisting the chord when using the toaster.

4. Is a toaster chord tension problem dangerous?

In most cases, a toaster chord tension problem is not dangerous. However, if the chord is damaged or frayed, it could potentially pose a fire hazard. It is important to regularly check the condition of your toaster chord and replace it if necessary.

5. Should I attempt to fix a toaster chord tension problem myself or seek professional help?

If the toaster chord tension problem is minor, it can be fixed by carefully untangling the chord. However, if the chord is damaged or the problem persists, it is best to seek professional help. Attempting to fix it yourself could potentially be dangerous and may cause further damage to the toaster.