Tongue Twisters: English and Not English

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: Pablito.)In summary, the current photo contest - made me wonder about tongue-twisters. For PFers who aren't native English speaking, some tongue-twisters in your native language are provided. And of course I'd like to know native English speakers' favorite tongue-twisters. Plenty of resources are provided for those who want to learn more about tongue-twisters.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The current photo contest -

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=657811

- made me wonder about tongue-twisters. For PFers who aren't native English speaking, what are some tongue-twisters in your native language?

And of course I'd like to know native English speakers' favorites as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami. (Table with legs pulled out - or more precisely - with legs broken out, if it makes sense in English).

Król Karol kupił królowej Karolnie korale koloru koralowego. (King Carl bought Queen Caroline coral-colored corals). The main problem here are intertwined r and l, which makes it similar "red lorry, yellow lorry".

I cóż, że ze Szwecji? (So what, that (it is something) from Sweden?)

W czasie suszy szosa sucha. (During the drought road is dry).

Czy Tata czyta cytaty Tacyta? (Does Dad read Tacitus quotes?)

Plenty here: http://pl.wikiquote.org/wiki/Łamańce_językowe

Apparently for those outside of Poland half of the problem is pronunciation of sounds like rz, sz, cz. We are used to them, so "W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie" (In Szczebrzeszyn beetle sounds in the reed) is not as difficult for Poles as it may look.

But yes, Polish is not easy for others:

ftrqO-jkMpE[/youtube]

I don't know where to begin pronouncing Polish.. here some Dutch sentences, good for foreigners that want to practice their pronunciation.

Pronouncing "ch" (use a guttural sound)
Wij smachten naar achtentachtig prachtige nachten bij achtentachtig prachtige grachten.
(We yearn for eighty-eight wonderful nights at eighty-eight beautiful canals).

Pronouncing "br" (use a rolling r)
Bram de brave broer van breiende brauwende Brielse Brechtje, bracht in zijn bronsbruin broekje een bril en een brandbrief en een gebroken brokje bros bruin brood over de brede brug naar Breukelen.
(Bram the brave brother of knitting brewing Brielse Brechtje, brought in his bronze brown pants glasses and a fire letter and a broken piece of brittle brown bread on the wide bridge to Breukelen).

A tongue twister that probably took me the longest to perfect is "The Leith police dismisseth us."

The seething seas ceaseth and many men must munch much mush

Or if that was cake:

The sick sixth sheik's sixth sheep's sick (of tongue twisters - no doubt)

Borek said:
Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami. (Table with legs pulled out - or more precisely - with legs broken out, if it makes sense in English).

Król Karol kupił królowej Karolnie korale koloru koralowego. (King Carl bought Queen Caroline coral-colored corals). The main problem here are intertwined r and l, which makes it similar "red lorry, yellow lorry".

I cóż, że ze Szwecji? (So what, that (it is something) from Sweden?)

W czasie suszy szosa sucha. (During the drought road is dry).

Czy Tata czyta cytaty Tacyta? (Does Dad read Tacitus quotes?)

Plenty here: http://pl.wikiquote.org/wiki/Łamańce_językowe

Apparently for those outside of Poland half of the problem is pronunciation of sounds like rz, sz, cz. We are used to them, so "W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie" (In Szczebrzeszyn beetle sounds in the reed) is not as difficult for Poles as it may look.

But yes, Polish is not easy for others:

ftrqO-jkMpE[/youtube][/QUOTE] :s... on the typewriter for whatever he just said.

My favorite is
toy boat, toy boat, toy boat

Try saying that tree times in rapid succession.

Go ahead.

TRY IT!

MUWAHAHA!

Evo said:
My favorite is

Try saying that tree times in rapid succession.

Go ahead.

TRY IT!

MUWAHAHA!

As goes for: The big black bug's blood.

edward said:
As goes for: The big black bug's blood.
Ok, that one I mastered after 5 tries.

I've pretty much mastered toy boat, but still slip up at times. It took a LOT of practice.

Theophilus Sisal, the thistle sifter, lifted a sack of unsifted thistles.

This somewhat reminds me of the anti-joke I developed this morning, in a 4am daze, in a last ditch effort, after my living smelled a bit funny this morning...

"So you went over and, Mark's den was filled with gummy bears?

Sounds like something squishy in Mark's den"

Say that ten times fast. :-p

Irish wrist watch.

Say it three times fast.

sandbanana said:
Irish wrist watch.

Say it three times fast.
Darn you!

Here's a moderately simple German one:
"Fischers Fritze fischt frische Fische. Frische Fische fischt Fischers Fritz." (Fisher Fritz fishes fresh fishes. Fresh fishes fishes fisher Fritz.)​

And one for the more intrepid:
"Zwischen zwei Zwetschgenzweigen sitzen zwei zwitschernde Schwalben." ('Twixt two plumtree twigs sit two twittering sparrows.)​

While studying Spanish the teacher gave us tongue twisters to practice our pronunciation.

Tres tristes tigres tragaban trigo en un trigal. (Three sad tigers were hauling wheat in a wheatfield.)

Pablito clavo un clavito. Un clavito clavo Pablito. (Pablito nailed a nail. A nail nailed Pablito.)

1. What is the purpose of tongue twisters?

Tongue twisters are a type of word play that are designed to be difficult to say, often using alliteration or similar sounding words. They are typically used for entertainment or as an exercise to improve pronunciation and diction.

2. Are tongue twisters only found in English language?

No, tongue twisters can be found in many languages around the world. Different languages have their own unique tongue twisters that may not make sense when translated to English.

3. How do tongue twisters help with speech and language development?

Tongue twisters can help with speech and language development by improving enunciation, pronunciation, and overall oral motor skills. They can also be used to practice specific sounds or words that may be difficult for some individuals.

4. What is the most difficult tongue twister in English?

The most difficult tongue twister in English is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, some commonly mentioned difficult tongue twisters include "The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" and "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers".

5. Can tongue twisters be used in speech therapy?

Yes, tongue twisters are commonly used in speech therapy to help individuals with speech and language disorders. They can be used to target specific sounds and improve overall articulation and fluency.