Too late to apply for grad schools?

In summary, the individual was rejected from all four of the grad schools they applied to. They are looking into other options, but are pessimistic about their chances.
dipole
So I applied to four grad schools, my PGRE score was 830 and my GPA is a 3.92, but I've already been rejected from two of the schools and haven't heard back from the other two, which leads me to believe I'm going to be rejected from all four of the schools I applied to, leaving me with no options...

I may be able to get into my undegrad school, but I was really hoping to get out of this place and go somewhere new. Is there any possibity of still applying to a decent graduate school somewhere, or should I just start looking for a job now?

Edit: I'm applying for PHYSICS.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could do some research at your undergrad institution for a year and apply again next year.

ModusPwnd said:
You could do some research at your undergrad institution for a year and apply again next year.

Yea this is an option, I'll have to talk to some people here, but I'm just trying to see what other possibilities there are.

Europe. Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands. Generally low tuition fees.

And possibly Canada.

Some places will still review applications after the admissions deadline if they still have spaces available. It's worth checking this out with any additional school you're interested in applying to.

Mépris said:
Europe. Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands. Generally low tuition fees.

And possibly Canada.

Yea this is definitely out, there's no way I'm going overseas, and even less chance I'm going to take on a penny more of debt. I'd only go to grad school if I'm offered full funding.

Thanks Choppy, I'll look into it, but I'm very doubtful, given the number of applicants that apply every year, that any school will have trouble filling slots, unless it's a dirt poor school, which I'd be better off staying at my current undergrad (which is not a bad school).

Sounds like you are going to have to do research at your undergrad institution or at least lower one of your expectations (full funding / top school).

I would also apply to a wider range of schools next year because nothing is guaranteed.

Yes, I am quite sure many schools are still receiving applications. Check this link and look halfway down the page:

http://www.uvic.ca/science/physics/prospective/graduate/application/index.php

It's in Canada obviously, and it is not what I would call an international school, BUT, it still has decent research programs, especially in particle physics and accelerator physics (it has very strong ties to TRIUMF, Canada's particle and nuclear physics lab). It's also fully funded, although the funding may differ a bit for an international student. Also, since it is in Canada you have the option of just doing a Master's. Then after that you could reapply everywhere else for a PhD, or stay at UVic to continue your research.

A lower ranked school which pays you is better than a higher ranked school which doesn't or no school at all (unless you are bursting at the seams with money).

Last edited:
Below are some funded MS programs in the US.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2860

Canadian universities offer funding in the form of a teaching assistantship and/or a research assistantship. The department also pays part of the already reduced international tuition, in some cases. If one is offered funding, one generally has enough to pay the remaining tuition, and to live off of.

Look into the German Academic Exchange. They offer some scholarships.

While the USA definitely has excellent funding opportunities, other opportunities exist elsewhere.

Also, apply to more than 4 schools next time!

micromass said:
Also, apply to more than 4 schools next time!

I can't agree more with this. If getting a phd in physics is the only thing you can see yourself doing in the next 5 to 7 years of your life, then you must apply to more. I think 10 is a reasonable number.

I am paranoid. I applied to 17. I didnt get into any of my top 6. My application profile was quite strong. Luckily i still had some choice and i am very happy with where i ended up. I don't think 4 is reasonable even for someone with a 4.0 gpa, 990 pgre.

Well I applied to four because of monetary reasons, I financially couldn't afford to apply to a ton of schools, even if I wanted to. I did get two school fees waived, but others didn't offer waivers.

I'm in contact with a few graduate comitee people at some lower ranked (but still strong departments) schools, so I'll be applying to at least one, but hopefully a few more in the next day or so. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but I'm not very optimisitic.

For graduate school people are less likely to give you leeway as far as application fees than undergrad because you arent viewed as a teenager anymore where how bad or poor your parents are matters as much. (It still matters for people in industries where unpaid internships are important but luckily physics isn't really one of those. Internships tend to be paid)

dipole said:
Well I applied to four because of monetary reasons, I financially couldn't afford to apply to a ton of schools, even if I wanted to. I did get two school fees waived, but others didn't offer waivers.

I'm in contact with a few graduate comitee people at some lower ranked (but still strong departments) schools, so I'll be applying to at least one, but hopefully a few more in the next day or so. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, but I'm not very optimisitic.

This may sound harsh, but you had presumably 3 to 4 years to save money to apply to places. I think of it as an investment or a bet. You gambled on your profile being strong enough and lost. I don't think its unreasonable to try to do paid research at your school for a year while you save up money to try again. Your scores are not weak.

Good luck.

Related to Too late to apply for grad schools?

1. Is it too late to apply for grad schools?

It depends on the specific deadlines of each school. While some schools may have already closed their application process, others may still be accepting applications. It is important to check the deadlines for each school you are interested in and apply before the deadline.

2. When are the deadlines for grad school applications?

The deadlines for grad school applications vary depending on the school, program, and degree level. Generally, deadlines for fall admissions are between December and February, and for spring admissions between September and November. It is important to check the specific deadlines for each school and program you are interested in.

3. Can I still apply after the deadline has passed?

Some schools may have a rolling admissions process, which means they review and accept applications on a continuous basis until all spots are filled. However, this is not always the case and it is best to apply before the deadline to increase your chances of acceptance. If you miss the deadline, you can also consider applying for the next academic term.

4. Will applying later affect my chances of acceptance?

Applying closer to the deadline does not necessarily mean you have a lower chance of acceptance. Admissions committees review all applications thoroughly and consider various factors such as academic achievements, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. However, it is important to note that some schools may have a limited number of spots and it is best to apply as early as possible.

5. Can I still apply for financial aid or scholarships if I apply late?

Most schools have a separate application process for financial aid and scholarships, which may have different deadlines than the admissions deadline. It is important to check the deadlines for these applications and submit them on time. However, some scholarships and financial aid may have limited funding and it is recommended to apply for them as early as possible.