Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots

• Thread starter tornado28
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking to create a website that allows users to draw complex polygons, specifically knots, that can self-intersect. There are two rules for these polygons: only two segments can intersect at one point, and there is one segment that goes over and one that goes under at intersection points. The user should also be able to switch which segment is on top. The speaker is seeking a drawing tool that can accommodate these rules, and suggests researching KnotPlot and reading the creator's PhD thesis for more information on the topic.
tornado28
For a school project, I would like to make a website that allows the user to draw http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot_(mathematics)" . In other words, I want to allow the user to draw many sided polygons (enough sides to approximate a curve) that are allowed to self intersect. There are two rules that apply to these polygons. First, only two segments are allowed to intersect at a single point, and second, at the intersection points there is one segment that goes over top and one segment that goes underneath. The user will need to be able to switch which segment is on top. After they draw the knot, I will extract some data from the drawing for some computations.

Here is my question: Is there a good drawing tool that I could use for this? One that I could write my rules into without too much difficulty?

Thanks Much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Google
KnotPlot
and read everything you find for that including his phd thesis on drawing knots.

That isn't handing you the software that you asked for, but it should give you all kinds of information and insight into the problem and things that should help you.

Related to Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots

1. What is a "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots"?

A "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" is a digital software or application that allows users to create and design different types of knots using various tools and techniques. It is commonly used by sailors, climbers, and craftspeople to visualize and practice tying knots.

2. How does the "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" work?

The "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" uses a combination of programming and user interface design to simulate the process of knot tying. The user can choose from a variety of virtual ropes and tools to create different types of knots, and the software will display the steps and movements needed to tie the knot.

3. Can the "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" can be used for educational purposes, such as teaching knot tying techniques and practicing different types of knots. It can also be used as a learning tool for understanding the mechanics and principles behind different types of knots.

4. Is the "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" is suitable for beginners as it provides step-by-step instructions and visual demonstrations on how to tie knots. It also has a user-friendly interface and a variety of tools and options to help beginners learn and practice knot tying.

5. Can the "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" be used for professional purposes?

Yes, the "Tool To Allow User to Draw Knots" can be used for professional purposes, such as creating diagrams and illustrations for instructional materials or presentations. It can also be used by professionals in fields such as sailing, rock climbing, and fishing to design and plan specific types of knots for their activities.