Topology of the Universe and infinities

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the universe having a finite or infinite size and the different types of geometries it can have. It is mentioned that the current knowledge is not enough to answer these questions, but it is possible for the universe to have a flat geometry without being spatially infinite. The concept of parallelizable spheres is also brought up as a way to make a three-dimensional sphere flat. Ultimately, it is stated that for creatures living on an infinitesimal portion of a sphere, the curvature would seem flat to them.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
There are couple things that keep me questioning about the nature of the universe.
Let me start from the begining.

Big Bang happened and our universe was created, and from now on let us suppose that the universe is infinite in size. Later on, the universe expands and after a time we can see only a region of this universe (which we call observable universe). From current observations (within our ability to measure) we can see that, the portion that we see is spatially flat. Since we assumed the universe in infinite in size (at the begining) it doesn't directly mean that universe cannot have a spherical or torus or other kind of finite size geometry ?

Other possibility is that when the Big Bang happened universe has finite size, since I think only in this case we can discuss the possiblity of the finite size geometry models for universe ?

Are these ideas true ? If it's true then the question (what is the topology of the universe) can be reduced to, does the universe has finite or infinite size after singularity ?

Also, in both cases universe is finite in timewise since it has a starting point ?

Space news on Phys.org
The questions you are raising, particularly finit or infinite universe, are not answerable with current knowlege.

mathman said:
The questions you are raising, particularly finit or infinite universe, are not answerable with current knowlege.
Yeah I know, wish they were answerable though. I am more concerned about the ideas that I said, are they true ? Like the approach to the problem.

In both cases yes there's no way that we can tell which one is true.

Arman777 said:
Since we assumed the universe in infinite in size (at the begining) it doesn't directly mean that universe cannot have a spherical or torus or other kind of finite size geometry ?

If the universe is spatially infinite, it can't have a geometry that can only be spatially finite.

However, it is possible for the universe to be spatially flat without being spatially infinite, if it has, for example, a flat torus geometry. This is considered very unlikely, but it's logically possible.(Note that a spatially flat universe can't have a spherical geometry; there's no way for a spherical geometry to be spatially flat.)

PeterDonis said:
If the universe is spatially infinite, it can't have a geometry that can only be spatially finite.

However, it is possible for the universe to be spatially flat without being spatially infinite, if it has, for example, a flat torus geometry. This is considered very unlikely, but it's logically possible.(Note that a spatially flat universe can't have a spherical geometry; there's no way for a spherical geometry to be spatially flat.)

Well yes it's possible. Why not the spherical geometry cannot be a spatially flat ? To simplfy the question let's think 2D positively curved space. In the surface If we take an infinitesimal portion that corresponds to observable universe, and we measure the curvature wouldn't that be flat ?

Arman777 said:
Well yes it's possible. Why not the spherical geometry cannot be a spatially flat ? To simplfy the question let's think 2D positively curved space. In the surface If we take an infinitesimal portion that corresponds to observable universe, and we measure the curvature wouldn't that be flat ?
Spherical geometry simply isn't flat. You can tell this pretty easily by proving that straight lines will always intersect on a spherical surface.

Spherical geometry could be so close to flat that its curvature would be undetectable, if you only have access to a limited portion of the spherical surface (in simple terms, if the radius of curvature is much larger than the size of the region you can observe).

Likes Simon Bridge
kimbyd said:
Spherical geometry simply isn't flat. You can tell this pretty easily by proving that straight lines will always intersect on a spherical surface.

Spherical geometry could be so close to flat that its curvature would be undetectable, if you only have access to a limited portion of the spherical surface (in simple terms, if the radius of curvature is much larger than the size of the region you can observe).
I agree and I was talking about the second case. Which from the PeterDonis post, I understood as it can "never" have spherical geometry. But its possible that it can have. In a such way that we can't detect the curvature.

Arman777 said:
In the surface If we take an infinitesimal portion that corresponds to observable universe, and we measure the curvature wouldn't that be flat ?

No. It would be curved, but the curvature would not be measurable by us.

As a curiosity, you could make the three-dimensional sphere flat by selecting an appropriate connection, since it is parallelizable. However, this connection will not be the Levi-Civita connection of the standard metric.

Likes bapowell
Orodruin said:
As a curiosity, you could make the three-dimensional sphere flat by selecting an appropriate connection, since it is parallelizable. However, this connection will not be the Levi-Civita connection of the standard metric.
Interesting. I did not know this. Looking into it leads me to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallelizable_manifold

Apparently the parallelizable spheres are ##S^0## (a point), ##S^1## (a circle), ##S^3##, and ##S^7##. All other-dimensional spheres cannot be parallelized. These four can because of the behavior of "normed division algebras" (real numbers, complex numbers, quaternions, and octonions).

Mathematics is fascinatingly weird sometimes.

Likes bapowell
PeterDonis said:
but the curvature would not be measurable by us.

Yes since it's not measurable for us it will be flat. I know that in reality its not flat.

But for us, the living creatures on that infinitesimal surface of the 2D sphere, the curvature would seem flat. In a 2D sphere a 2D creature cannot measure the curvature unless whe travels and comes to the point where he started.

For example we can't proof that Earth is flat just by looking 1m^2 around us.

Earth is not flat. But for creatures living on it seems flat (in infinitesimal distances)

I am not saying different things then you. Why No ? it makes me confused.

So, I understand the general idea. Thanks for your help

Arman777 said:
I am not saying different things then you.

You might not mean to, but the language you are using seems self-contradictory:

Arman777 said:
since it's not measurable for us it will be flat. I know that in reality its not flat.

It's flat, but it's not flat? You're contradicting yourself. This is why I said "no".

A better way to say it would be that it seems flat in a small enough region, because we can't measure the curvature. As you do later on in your post. If you consistently used the word "seems" there would be no problem.

Okay, thanks again.

1. What is the topology of the universe?

The topology of the universe refers to the overall geometric structure of the universe. It can be described as the arrangement of space and time on a large scale, including the distribution of matter and energy. The most widely accepted theory is that the universe has a flat topology, meaning it is infinite and has a constant curvature.

2. Is the universe infinite?

The concept of infinity in relation to the universe is still a topic of debate among scientists. While some theories suggest that the universe is infinite and has no boundaries, other theories propose that the universe is finite but unbounded, meaning it has a finite size but no edges or boundaries. Currently, there is no conclusive evidence to support either theory.

3. How can we measure the size of the universe?

Measuring the size of the universe is a complex task due to its vastness. Scientists use various methods, such as observing the cosmic microwave background radiation and the redshift of distant galaxies, to estimate the size of the observable universe. However, the true size of the entire universe may never be known due to our limited ability to observe beyond a certain distance.

4. Can the universe have more than three dimensions?

While our everyday experience is limited to three dimensions (length, width, and height), some theories in physics suggest that the universe may have more than three dimensions. However, these extra dimensions are thought to be compacted and not readily observable on a large scale. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the concept of higher dimensions in the universe.

5. What is the role of topology in understanding the universe?

Topology plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental nature of the universe. It helps us understand the overall structure and shape of the universe and how it has evolved over time. It also provides insights into the behavior of matter and energy on a large scale, helping us make predictions and theories about the universe's past, present, and future.