[topology] The metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous

In summary, the metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous. The attempt at a solution is to prove that the open balls are open sets in that topology.
nonequilibrium
[topology] "The metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous"

Homework Statement

Let (X,d) be a metric space. Show that the topology on X induced by the metric d is the coarsest topology on X such that [itex]d: X \times X \to \mathbb R[/itex] is continuous (for the product topology on [itex]X \times X[/itex]).

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove that d is continuous, but I'm having trouble proving that the topology is the coarsest. Let V be a subset of R, then denote [itex]U := d^{-1}(V)[/itex] and suppose U is open. I want to prove that V is open, but I'm not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try to prove that if d is continuous, then the open balls are open sets in that topology.

Thanks.

Hm, I seem to be confused.

The best thing I can do, is to say: take an open ball [itex]B(x, \varepsilon)[/itex], then we know that [itex]d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[)[/itex] is open, and hence [itex]d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[) \cap \left( \{x\} \times X \right)[/itex] is open in [itex]\{x\} \times X[/itex], which proves your statement if we identify
[itex]B(x, \varepsilon) \leftrightarrow d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[) \cap \left( \{x\} \times X \right)[/itex]
[itex]X \leftrightarrow \{x\} \times X [/itex]
but I would doubt this round-about method is necessary...

Part of my confusion seems to be about the following: I think I'm wrong about my initial assumption that the statement is equivalent to saying it's (also) the coarsest on [itex]X \times X[/itex] such that d is continuous? Because I'm confused by the fact that (take [itex]X = \mathbb R[/itex] for the moment) [itex]d^{-1}(]a,b[)[/itex] is always an unbounded region, consequently the initial topology on [itex]\mathbb R \times \mathbb R[/itex] induced by d cannot coincide with the product topology on [itex]X \times X[/itex] inherited from the metric topology on X (which would have to be the case if the above statement were true).

I hope my confusion makes sense...

mr. vodka said:
Thanks.

Hm, I seem to be confused.

The best thing I can do, is to say: take an open ball [itex]B(x, \varepsilon)[/itex], then we know that [itex]d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[)[/itex] is open, and hence [itex]d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[) \cap \left( \{x\} \times X \right)[/itex] is open in [itex]\{x\} \times X[/itex], which proves your statement if we identify
[itex]B(x, \varepsilon) \leftrightarrow d^{-1}(]-\epsilon,\epsilon[) \cap \left( \{x\} \times X \right)[/itex]
[itex]X \leftrightarrow \{x\} \times X [/itex]
but I would doubt this round-about method is necessary...

That is correct.

Part of my confusion seems to be about the following: I think I'm wrong about my initial assumption that the statement is equivalent to saying it's (also) the coarsest on [itex]X \times X[/itex] such that d is continuous? Because I'm confused by the fact that (take [itex]X = \mathbb R[/itex] for the moment) [itex]d^{-1}(]a,b[)[/itex] is always an unbounded region, consequently the initial topology on [itex]\mathbb R \times \mathbb R[/itex] induced by d cannot coincide with the product topology on [itex]X \times X[/itex] inherited from the metric topology on X (which would have to be the case if the above statement were true).

Yes, I indeed do not think that is true. Note that the actual initial topology of d (on the set XxX) is not even Hausdorff. Indeed, the point (x,x) and (y,y) can never be separated by open sets. If (x,x) is in [itex]d^{-1}(]a,b[)[/itex] then [itex]0\in ]a,b[[/itex]. But then we also have [itex](y,y)\in ]a,b[[/itex].

Some extra information:
As you can see, the set [itex]\{d^{-1}(]a,b[~\vert~a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}[/itex] does not induce a nice topological space. But it does introduce a nice structure called a uniformity. Uniform spaces (spaces equipped with a uniformity) are a generalization of metric spaces which can be used to define notions such as uniform continuity, uniform convergence, totally boundedness and Cauchy sequences. Every uniform space induces a topological space. So we actually have "metric space --> uniform space --> topological space".

Ah, thank you :)

And is the way I proved it the most efficient way/the way you had in mind? With the identifications? Or is it a round-about way for something shorter that I'm overlooking?

mr. vodka said:
Ah, thank you :)

And is the way I proved it the most efficient way/the way you had in mind? With the identifications? Or is it a round-about way for something shorter that I'm overlooking?

It was the way I had in mind. Perhaps there is a shorter way, but I doubt it.

Ah perfect :) You have settled my qualms.

Related to [topology] The metric topology is the coarsest that makes the metric continuous

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of spaces and geometric objects that are unchanged under continuous deformations. It is concerned with the study of properties such as continuity, connectivity, and compactness.

2. What is the metric topology?

The metric topology is a type of topology that is based on a distance function, or metric, defined on a set. It is the coarsest topology that makes the metric continuous, meaning that the topology is the smallest possible one that guarantees that all metric functions are continuous.

3. How is the metric topology different from other topologies?

The metric topology differs from other topologies in that it is based on a specific metric function, whereas other topologies may be based on other types of functions or criteria. Additionally, the metric topology is unique in that it is the coarsest possible topology that ensures continuity of the metric function.

4. What are some examples of spaces that can be described using the metric topology?

The metric topology can be applied to a wide range of spaces, including Euclidean spaces, metric spaces, and function spaces. It is also commonly used in the study of real analysis, differential geometry, and algebraic topology.

5. Why is the concept of continuity important in the metric topology?

The concept of continuity is important in the metric topology because it allows for the study of the properties and behaviors of spaces and objects under continuous deformations. Continuity also helps to define and understand important concepts such as convergence, connectedness, and compactness in topology.