Torque about a pendulum's suspension point

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque about a pendulum's suspension point caused by the weight of the bob. The two equations mentioned are tau = rFsin(theta) and tau = lF. The conversation also discusses the use of the first equation, with an angle of 60 degrees and a given value for the mass and acceleration due to gravity. However, the final result obtained using this equation is incorrect and the conversation ends with a request for clarification on why the first equation did not yield the correct answer.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

In the figure attached, what is the torque about the pendulum's suspension point produced by the weight of the bob, given that the mass is 40 cm to the right of the suspension point, measured horizontally, and m=0.50kg?

Homework Equations

tau = rFsin (theta)
or
tau = lF

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why but I tend to prefer the first equation, so upon seeing this, I thought the F_g = mg is pulling down on the suspension point at an angle of 60°, so I can do tau = L*m*g*sin(60°).
From the given information about the 40cm, we can draw a right triangle and get that L = 0.80m.
sin 60° is sqrt(3)/2.
m = 0.5 kg
g is a constant 9.8.
Then multipling them all together, I got 1.7Nm.

However, apparently I am wrong — it should be 2.0 Nm, and no, it isn't a matter of rounding 1.7Nm up to 2.0Nm. The solution provides a way of using the second equation, but I'd like to know why I was wrong using the 1st equation. Could someone help me out?

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpg
    IMG_0306.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
JessicaHelena said:
I don't know why but I tend to prefer the first equation
Good (or perhaps not good...) ! But what is ##\theta## ? and F ?

Template said:
all variables and given/known data
A picture showing F and ##\theta## would really help

JessicaHelena said:
an angle of 60°, so I can do tau = L*m*g*sin(60°).
Think that through again.

1. What is torque about a pendulum's suspension point?

Torque about a pendulum's suspension point refers to the force that causes a rotating object, in this case a pendulum, to rotate around its suspension point. It is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to the pendulum.

2. How is torque calculated for a pendulum?

The torque of a pendulum can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the pendulum by the distance from the suspension point to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

3. How does torque affect the motion of a pendulum?

Torque plays a crucial role in the motion of a pendulum. It is responsible for the pendulum's oscillation or swinging motion. The greater the torque applied, the greater the amplitude or angle of swing of the pendulum.

4. What factors affect the torque of a pendulum?

The torque of a pendulum is affected by a few factors such as the force applied, the distance from the suspension point, and the mass of the pendulum. The greater the force or the distance, the greater the torque. The heavier the pendulum, the greater the torque needed to cause it to swing.

5. How can torque be increased or decreased in a pendulum?

To increase torque in a pendulum, the force applied or the distance from the suspension point can be increased. To decrease torque, the force or distance can be decreased. Another way to decrease torque is by increasing the mass of the pendulum.