Torque acting on a particle in rotational motion

In summary, the conversation involves a question about a torque acting on a particle in rotational motion. It provides practice with the various equations for angular velocity, torque, and acceleration. The angular velocity vector gives the axis of rotation and gravity acts on the particle, causing a gravitational acceleration of -g. The question asks to show the angular acceleration as a function of φ, which is found to be -gsinφ/2p_o. There is a discussion about the calculation of the acceleration and a mistake is found and corrected.
peterspencers

Homework Statement

The following question involves a torque acting on a particle in rotational motion. It provides practice with the various equations for angular velocity, torque etc A particle of mass ##m## initially has position

$$\mathbf{r}=p_{o}[cos\phi(\textit{i}+\textit{k})+sin\phi\sqrt{2}\textit{j}]$$

The angular velocity vector ##\boldsymbol{\omega}##, gives the axis of rotation which is in the direction ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}= \dfrac{− 1}{\sqrt{2}}\textit{i}+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\textit{k}##

Gravity acts on the particle, giving rise to a gravitational acceleration -g##\textit{k}## as usual.

Assume that the axis of rotation is fixed in the direction ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}##. Using the component of the torque in the ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}## direction, show that the angular acceleration ##\alpha## about ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}##, as a function of φ is ..

$$\alpha=\dfrac{-gsin\phi}{2p_{o}}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\textbf{r}=p_{o}\begin{pmatrix}cos\phi\\\sqrt{2}sin\phi\\cos\phi\end{pmatrix}$$
$$r=\sqrt{2}p_{o}$$
$$\textbf{a}=\dfrac{d^{2}\textbf{r}}{d\phi^{2}}+\begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\-g\end{pmatrix}$$
$$\textbf{a}=-p_{o}\begin{pmatrix}cos\phi\\\sqrt{2}sin\phi\\cos\phi-g\end{pmatrix}$$
$$\boldsymbol{\tau}=\textbf{r}\times\textbf{F}=\textbf{r}\times(m\textbf{a})=mr^{2}\boldsymbol{\alpha}$$
so, the angular acceleration about ##\hat{\mathbf{n}}## is $$\alpha=\boldsymbol{\alpha}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}=\dfrac{{\tau}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}}{mr^{2}}$$
(note, I cannot make the greek symbol tau bold (to show that it is a vector) when using the \dfrac command in Latex, how do I achive this ?)

Which I compute to be..

$$\alpha=\boldsymbol{\alpha}\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}=\dfrac{-gsin\phi}{2}$$

I seem to be missing a factor of ##\dfrac{1}{p_{o}}## from the solution the question says I should get. Have I made a conceptual error somewhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your solution:
1. you interchaged the y and z components of the initial position vector. cording to the problem statement
2. I don't see how you got the acceleration vector. Could you explain that?

Hi there, I have edited the initial post, apologies, I had put the unit vectors j and k in the wrong place, thankyou for correcting me. I have also included an extra line showing where the acceleration vector comes from, it is simply the second derivative of position with respect to phi + the acceleration due to gravity.

Why is the acceleration the second derivative of the position with respect to phi? By definition, it is the second derivative of the position with respect to t.

ok, so the acceleration should just be ##-g\textit{k}##?

Yes this gives the required result, thankyou very much for taking the time to point out my mistake.

Kind regards,

Peter

Last edited:

1. What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the point of application of the force and the axis of rotation.

2. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque causes rotational motion by exerting a force on an object, causing it to rotate around an axis. The direction of the torque determines the direction of the rotation, and the magnitude of the torque determines the speed of the rotation.

3. What factors affect the torque on a particle in rotational motion?

The factors that affect torque include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative torque?

Positive torque causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while negative torque causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. This is based on the right-hand rule, where the direction of the rotation is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of the rotation axis.

5. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly proportional. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the angular acceleration will be. This relationship is described by Newton's Second Law for rotational motion, which states that the net torque acting on an object is equal to the product of its moment of inertia and angular acceleration.