Torque on a Disk in a Magnetic Field (E&M)

In summary, the problem involves an engineer trying to drive a disk with bugs that climb up an axle, carry an electric charge, and move radially outward due to a magnetic field. The torque on the disk is given as 0.00156 n-m and can be calculated using the equations for torque and magnetic force. The missing piece of information is the velocity of the bugs, which can be found by using the current of 1000 bugs/sec and the charge of 0.001 C/bug. With this information, the problem can be solved.
Anode
Hi, I've been struggling on this homework problem for quite a few hours now and would really appreciate a pointing in the right direction. It's a fairly entertaining problem that I'm getting stuck on in several places.

1. Homework Statement

The problem goes:
"An erratic engineer, who lives in a residence infested by small, fast bugs, conceives the device shown as a method of driving a disk. The bugs are taught to climb up the axle of the disk, emerge through a hole O at its center, and run radially outward at constant velocity. At the edge, the bugs fall off and drop into a tray. By means of a seat emf not shown, each bug acquires an electric positive charge as it ascends, and carries the charge with it as it runs across the disk. A magnetic field of flux density varying with radius according to B= 0.1r2 acts upward over the disk.

Suppose that 1000 bugs/sec emerge from O, each carrying charge +0.001 Coulomb, and move out radially. The radius of the disk is 0.5 meters.

a) Find the torque on the disk.

The given answer is 0.00156 n-m.

Homework Equations

τ=rFsinθ
F=q(V x B)
τ=IBAsinθ
F=I(ℓ x B)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've tried this several ways.
Here's the one I think is in the right direction:

I used both the equation for torque and the one for magnetic force.
So I get:
τ = r * qVB (since θ=90 by right hand rule)
τ = r * qV ∫ 0.1 r2 dr (and integrate from 0 to 0.5m)
τ = r * q * V * (0.5)3/3
τ = 0.5m * q * V * (0.5)3/3

Then, I have a problem. I'm fairly sure that q = 0.001C x 1000, but I could be wrong.
In any case, I'm stuck with V, and as far as I can see there's no way to find the velocity, since I'm given neither V nor time of travel of the bugs.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

**diagram attached**
2moOVnA.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I solved it.
Was missing the fact that current = 1000 bugs/sec x 0.001 C/bug

Using that I was able to use dF=IBdr and plug that into dT=rdF.

1. What is torque on a disk in a magnetic field?

Torque on a disk in a magnetic field is a phenomenon that occurs when a disk (or any other object) with a current flowing through it is placed in a magnetic field. The interaction between the current and the magnetic field results in a rotational force, or torque, being applied to the disk.

2. How is torque on a disk in a magnetic field calculated?

The formula for calculating torque on a disk in a magnetic field is T = BIrsinθ, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the disk, r is the radius of the disk, and θ is the angle between the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque on a disk in a magnetic field?

The amount of torque on a disk in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the disk, the radius of the disk, and the angle between the current and the magnetic field. Additionally, the orientation of the disk (i.e. whether it is parallel or perpendicular to the magnetic field) can also impact the amount of torque.

4. How does torque on a disk in a magnetic field affect the motion of the disk?

Torque on a disk in a magnetic field can cause the disk to rotate, either in the same direction or in the opposite direction as the magnetic field. This rotation can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or the current flowing through the disk.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque on a disk in a magnetic field?

One common application of torque on a disk in a magnetic field is in electric motors, where the torque produced by the interaction between the current and the magnetic field is used to rotate the motor's shaft. Torque on a disk in a magnetic field is also used in devices such as generators, speakers, and hard drives.