Torque on current carrying loop/Diploe moment of loop

In summary, when a vertical magnetic field is present, the tension in the two cords will be greater than the original tension.
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

The current loop of the radius b as shown in figure is mounted rigidly on the axle,midway between the two supporting cords.In the absence of the external magnetic field,the tension in the two cords are equal and are T.What will be the tension when a vertical magnetic field B is present??
20170710_034457-1.jpg

Homework Equations

Torque on a current carrying loop= (cross product of dipole moment vector and magnetic field vector)
Magnetic moment of loop=I × A,
I is current in the loop,A is it's area
And of course,
Torque at a point=r×F

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the dipole moment of the whole disc by integration,through the following method.
20170710_035231-1.jpg

Now,as I stated in the first line of section 2,I found out the torque on the disc as well as it's direction,
which came out to be,say in +x direction.Then,the torque due to the left string (T1) and the right string (T2) are coming out to be in -x and +x directions respectively.Now,since the disc is in rotational equilibrium,all the torques along the x direction should cancel out.
Which means,
(Torque due to B)+ (Torque due to T2)=(Torque due to T1)

Last line of section 2 is the formula used for finding direction of torques..
Also,the torque without any field is T,therefore,we get two equations,which can be sloved to obtain T1 and T2.

20170710_040356-1.jpg

HOWEVER,the answer given varies SLIGHTLY from what I have got.

Where am I going wrong??I doubt it's the integration part..
One thing it MAY be is...the disc is NOT IN ROTATIONAL EQUILIBRIUM,dunno...maybe
Help appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
From the wording of the problem, I would interpret the current ##I## as running around the edge of the disk. That is, all of the current ##I## is at a radius ##b## so that you have a current "loop" of radius ##b##.

However, if your interpretation is correct, it looks like you miss-copied the expression for ##\mu## when going to the second page of your notes. The exponent of 2 has moved from ##b## to ##I##.

Did you drop a factor of 2 in the denominator when going from the next-to-last line to the last line?

Also, why doesn't the magnetic field B enter into your result?

Likes scottdave
TSny said:
From the wording of the problem, I would interpret the current I as running around the edge of the disk. That is, all of the current I is at a radius b so that you have a current "loop" of radius b.
Idiotic mistake...integrating where there was no need to.
Yup,the answer is coming out correctly taking the current in a loop.
Thanks
And sorry for so many errors.. :p
I just remembered the given answer and mine varied on a coefficient of 2..so I wrote that down..should have checked.

OK. I realize now that what you wrote as "Ans" (at the end) is the answer given to you rather than your answer.
Glad it all works out now.

Likes Tanishq Nandan

1. What is torque on a current carrying loop?

Torque on a current carrying loop is the rotational force experienced by the loop when placed in a magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the current in the loop.

2. How is the torque on a current carrying loop calculated?

The torque on a current carrying loop can be calculated using the formula τ = NIABsinθ, where τ is the torque, N is the number of turns in the loop, I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the loop.

3. What is the direction of the torque on a current carrying loop?

The direction of the torque on a current carrying loop is determined by the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. It follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction of the torque is perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

4. What is the dipole moment of a current carrying loop?

The dipole moment of a current carrying loop is a measure of the strength and direction of the loop's magnetic field. It is calculated by multiplying the current in the loop by the area of the loop, and it is a vector quantity with a magnitude and direction.

5. How can the dipole moment of a current carrying loop be changed?

The dipole moment of a current carrying loop can be changed by altering the current, the area of the loop, or the orientation of the loop in the magnetic field. Increasing the current or the area of the loop will result in a stronger dipole moment, while changing the orientation of the loop will change the direction of the dipole moment.