Torque on wheel in magnetic field

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a physics problem involving a wheel in magnetic fields. They were unable to access an online forum, so they wrote up their question and issues in a PDF file. The person is looking for help with determining the direction of the magnetic forces on the spokes of the wheel, and they have used the right-hand rule to determine the direction as counter-clockwise and perpendicular to the spokes. They are also wondering about the amount of current in each spoke.
RoboNerd
Hi, everyone.

I am facing issues in trying to solve a problem on a wheel in magnetic fields.

Since I was not able to access physicsforums, I wrote up everything about my issues and the question in a pdf file that I am attaching accordingly to this post. It is even typed up in the format of the homework help template.

Thanks for the help in advance, and I hope that you have a great day.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

1. Homework Statement

Everything is in the attached pdf file

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1977 question 3 problem statement.pdf
    214.5 KB · Views: 292
Physics news on Phys.org
For future reference, it would be better if you had written up the text in Notepad or Word, so that you could have just pasted the text into the forum when you got back online. Doing the drawing as a PDF is fine, but it is much harder to respond to your post when the text is not accessible for quoting... Thanks.

Likes RoboNerd
RoboNerd said:
Hi, everyone.

I am facing issues in trying to solve a problem on a wheel in magnetic fields.

Since I was not able to access physicsforums, I wrote up everything about my issues and the question in a pdf file that I am attaching accordingly to this post. It is even typed up in the format of the homework help template.

Thanks for the help in advance, and I hope that you have a great day.
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Use the right-hand rule to figure out which way the forces are acting on the spokes. Can you speak to that?

Thanks for being willing to help. It is greatly appreciated.

By the right hand rule, assuming that the current from the positive terminal of the battery is going to the center of the wheel and then going outwards from it to the rim, and using the formula

Fb = Integral of (I * dl x B),

I do know that the magnetic force acting on the spokes will be directed in the counter-clockwise direction from the spokes, perpendicular to them.

Am I good, so far?

RoboNerd said:
I do know that the magnetic force acting on the spokes will be directed in the counter-clockwise direction from the spokes, perpendicular to them.

Am I good, so far?
Yes.

How much current is in each spoke?

Related to Torque on wheel in magnetic field

What is torque on a wheel in a magnetic field?

Torque on a wheel in a magnetic field refers to the rotational force that is exerted on a wheel when it is placed in a magnetic field. It is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the wheel.

How is torque on a wheel in a magnetic field calculated?

The torque on a wheel in a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation T = BIABsinθ, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current flowing through the wheel, A is the area of the wheel, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the wheel.

What factors affect the torque on a wheel in a magnetic field?

The torque on a wheel in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the wheel, the size and shape of the wheel, and the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the wheel.

How does torque on a wheel in a magnetic field affect its motion?

The torque on a wheel in a magnetic field causes it to rotate in the direction of the force. This can either increase or decrease the speed of the wheel, depending on the direction of rotation.

What are some real-life applications of torque on a wheel in a magnetic field?

Torque on a wheel in a magnetic field is used in various machines and devices, such as electric motors, generators, and turbines. It is also used in the production of energy from renewable sources, such as wind and hydropower.