Torque value needed to move a particular vehicle

In summary, the Tata Nano needs only 51 N-m of torque to reach 60km/h. This is less than the required torque for the I.C. Motor in the Ford Focus.
naeem shaik
can i know how much torque is required to move a 200kg weighed vehicle to 30kmph by using 24v, 250w dcmotor

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums

The answer depends on how much acceleration and how much friction. You did not supply enough information for us to answer.

acceleration: 1.3m/s2
coefficient of friction: 0.02
wheel radius:8inch

OK, I'm rusty but I'll take a crack.

Acceleration ##F = m*a = 1.3 m/s^2 * 200 kgm = 260 Newtons = 26.5 kgf##
Rolling resistance ##200 kgf * 0.02 = 4 kgf## (assume air resistance is zero)
Total force, ##30.5 kgf##

The wheel radius is 8" or 0.2 m.
Torque = ##30.5 kgf * 0.2 m = 6.1 kgf*m = 60 n*m##
60 Newton meters torque is my answer.

The fact that torque is supplied by a motor is irrelevant.

If the acceleration is maintained all the way up to the peak speed of 30 km/h (8.3 meters/sec) then that's 300 Newtons times 8.3 meters/sec ~= 2500 watts. That's an awful lot to expect from a 250 watt motor.

If we assume, instead, that we are just supplying the 40 Newtons required to match rolling resistance then that's 40 Newtons times 8.3 meters/sec = 333 watts. That's still going to be pretty tough on the motor even without factoring in air resistance.

i noticed for tata nano car (i c engine) weighing 680kg needs only 51 n-m torque to accelerate to 60kmph in 10 sec can we compare the both in the case of torque required

naeem shaik said:
i noticed for tata nano car (i c engine) weighing 680kg needs only 51 n-m torque to accelerate to 60kmph in 10 sec can we compare the both in the case of torque required
IC Motor specs are generally given at the flywheel so any gearing is ignored. The torque value at the engine means little as it can be easily changed with the gear box. What matters is power output as, ignoring drive train losses, power is constant for any gear/wheel size/final drive etc

thanks for your help

Related to Torque value needed to move a particular vehicle

1. What is torque and how does it affect a vehicle?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that an object experiences. In vehicles, it is the force that is responsible for the rotation of the wheels. Greater torque means a vehicle can accelerate faster and tow heavier loads.

2. How is the torque value needed to move a particular vehicle determined?

The torque value needed to move a vehicle is determined by the combination of its weight, engine power, and gearing. Engineers use mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the optimal torque value for a specific vehicle.

3. Can the torque value needed to move a vehicle change?

Yes, the torque value needed to move a vehicle can change depending on various factors such as terrain, weather conditions, and cargo weight. A vehicle may require more torque to move in hilly or rough terrain, for example.

4. What are the consequences of not having enough torque to move a vehicle?

If a vehicle does not have enough torque, it may struggle to accelerate, especially when carrying heavy loads. This can result in poor performance, increased fuel consumption, and potential damage to the engine.

5. Is there a standard torque value for all vehicles?

No, there is no standard torque value for all vehicles as it varies depending on the size, weight, and purpose of the vehicle. Smaller vehicles may require less torque, while larger vehicles, such as trucks and SUVs, may need more torque to move efficiently.