Torques on a vertical wheel due to 3 masses spaced along the wheel rim

In summary, using rotational equilibrium at the center pivot, we can determine the torque caused by different forces acting on the object. By applying the equation of torque, T = F x r x sinθ, we can calculate the component of the force perpendicular to the radius, which is equivalent to the lever arm. In the given scenario, the lever arm for the weight force of M can be found by taking the angle between the vectors F and r, which is 30 degrees, and using sin30° = ½ to arrive at the answer 3M/2.
paulimerci
Homework Statement
A wheel of radius R and negligible mass is mounted on a horizontal frictionless axle so that the wheel is in a vertical plane. Three small objects having masses m, M, and 2M, respectively, are mounted on the rim of the wheel, as shown. If the system is in static equilibrium, what is the value of m in terms of M ?
Relevant Equations
Rotational equilibrium:
T = F × r × sinθ. T = torque. F = linear force. r = distance measured from the axis of rotation to where the application of linear force takes place.
Applying rotational equilibrium at the center pivot we get:
+mg(R) + Mg(Rcos60°)–2Mg(R) = 0.Using cos60° = ½ we arrive at the answer 3M/2

I don't understand why cosine is used instead of sine in the above equation. I see the y component mg is acting perpendicular to the x component and so from the equation of Torque we understand that the force perpendicular to "r" is taken into consideration. I would really appreciate if anyone could explain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 2.15.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 2.15.46 PM.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 84
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the image. We cannot help you unless we have the appropriate problem statement.

Likes topsquark
Thanks, I forgot to insert the picture. I've just uploaded it for your reference .

There are two ways to think of it:
1. R x the component of Mg perpendicular to R, ##RMg\cos(60)##
2. Mg x the component of R perpendicular to Mg, ##MgR\cos(60)##
Where do you disagree?

Likes topsquark and paulimerci
Thanks, I find it hard visualizing it.
Why sin 60 is not used in the equation?

paulimerci said:
Why sin 60 is not used in the equation?
What is the x-component of the radius from the center to mass ##M##? Is it ##R\cos(60^o)## or ##R\sin(60^o)##?

Likes topsquark
Well its R cos 60.

kuruman said:
What is the x-component of the radius from the center to mass ##M##? Is it ##R\cos(60^o)## or ##R\sin(60^o)##?
While calculating torque for m, which is to the left we take it as sin 90 and thereby for calculating M which is at the top of the circle why cannot we take that as sin 60?

paulimerci said:
from the equation of Torque we understand that the force perpendicular to "r" is taken into consideration.

1666994436960.png

What is the value of the angle ##\theta## shown in the figure above? How would you use that to find the component of the force perpendicular to ##r##?

Likes paulimerci and topsquark
Theta is 60. The angle between r and F is 30. I will resolve F into x and y components. Y component is parallel to r and x component looks perpendicular to r. Was it right?

Likes paulimerci
Thank you all
TSny said:
View attachment 316304

What is the value of the angle ##\theta## shown in the figure above? How would you use that to find the component of the force perpendicular to ##r##?
Thank you TSny! This diagram helped me to figure it out.

Likes Lnewqban and TSny
paulimerci said:
T = F × r × sinθ.
The angle ##\theta## in that equation is the angle between the vectors ##F## and ##r##. (reference)

In your case, it's 30° (= 90° - 60°) and sin30° = ½, just like cos60°.

Likes paulimerci

1. What is a torque?

A torque is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the torque on a vertical wheel?

The torque on a vertical wheel can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wheel by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm.

3. What are the factors that affect the torque on a vertical wheel?

The factors that affect the torque on a vertical wheel include the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How do the masses spaced along the wheel rim affect the torque?

The masses spaced along the wheel rim affect the torque by adding additional forces that must be taken into account when calculating the total torque on the wheel. The distance from the axis of rotation to each mass also plays a role in determining the overall torque.

5. How can torque on a vertical wheel be used in real-world applications?

Torque on a vertical wheel has many practical applications, such as in the design of machinery and vehicles. It is also important in understanding the stability and balance of structures and objects, as well as in determining the efficiency of mechanical systems.