Torsion of a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar

In summary, the author analyzed various open cross-section (I, T, L, C) bars and found maximum shear stress and twist angle. However, he would like to approximate these results for thick-walled bars. If there is no approximate method, the author suggests looking into the use of differential equations.
FEAnalyst
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate maximum shear stress and twist angle of a thick-walled arbitrary open cross-section (e.g. I, T, L, C) bar subjected to torsion ?
Hi,

I analyzed various open cross-section (I, T, L, C) bars using FEA to find maximum shear stress and twist angle. Now I would like to compare these results with approximate hand calculations. Just out of curiosity. However it's not easy to do it analytically. I know about a method of dividing open section into several rectangles and calculating and then summing their torsion constants. Unfortunately the books say that this method applies to thin-walled sections and I would like to solve some thick-walled bars. So is there any other approximate method I could use or maybe the one mentioned above can be used even for thick-walled bars ? Of course I realize that results won't be exact. If there's no approximate method then do you know about any examples for these sections with the use of differential equations ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you please give an example of the kind of shape you are analyzing?

Sure, here's a picture showing sections I would like to analyze:
4.JPG

They are all typical open profiles often used for bars. Thus I'm a bit surprised that it's so hard to find any examples of torsion calculations for these profiles.

Source of images: https://structx.com/geometric_properties.html

If you go to your above reference and click on each of the pictures, it will open a page with the applicable formulas you are seeking for that beam configuration.

Yes, among the properties listed on this website there are some related to torsion - polar moment of inertia and torsional constant. However I don't think that they can be used to calculate max shear stress and twist angle in this kind of section like it's done for circular section: ##\tau_{max}=\frac{Tr}{J_{z}}## and ##\theta=\frac{TL}{JG}## (##T## - torque, ##r## - distance from central axis, ##J_{z}## - polar moment of inertia, ##J## - torsional constant, ##G## - shear modulus). These formulas apply to circular sections only due to warping of non-circular shaft.

If you google the subject you will see that material on this is related to the safe application of such shapes and is therefore simplified by factors and graphs. On the technical side there many references under "torsional stress of structural beams", none of which lends itself to a quick and easy calculation.

Likes Chestermiller
I do realize it won't be easy but I would like to try solving it analytically just out of curiosity. If the method for thin sections won't give meaningful results here then I will at least take a look at the approaches involving the use of differential equations. Or maybe hydrodynamic analogy may help. I will be glad if you share some resources that you know about.

I also wonder what is the purpose of these polar moments of inertia and torsional constant listed on the aforementioned website. Maybe they can be used somehow, but not with the regular equations for circular section. However there might be a way to account for warping in calculations utilizing these constants.

Thanks, I used the formulas designed for thin-walled bars to solve the examples that were previously analyzed with FEA and I've found out that there's a very good agreement. Apparently these methods are not limited to thin-walled bars only. Or maybe my examples were close enough to this approximation.

1. What is torsion of a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar?

Torsion is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied to a structural element, causing it to twist or rotate. A thick-walled arbitrary open section bar refers to a structural member with a non-uniform cross-section that is open on at least one side.

2. How is torsion calculated for a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar?

Torsion is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation. For a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar, additional factors such as the cross-sectional properties and material properties must also be taken into account.

3. What factors affect the torsion of a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar?

The torsion of a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar can be affected by factors such as the shape and size of the cross-section, the material properties, and the location and magnitude of the applied force. Other factors, such as temperature and external loads, may also play a role.

4. How does torsion impact the structural integrity of a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar?

Torsion can cause significant stress and deformation in a structural member, which can ultimately lead to failure if the applied forces exceed the material's strength. In a thick-walled arbitrary open section bar, the non-uniform cross-section can also contribute to uneven stress distribution and potential failure points.

5. What are some common applications of thick-walled arbitrary open section bars subject to torsion?

Thick-walled arbitrary open section bars are commonly used in structural engineering for applications such as beams, columns, and trusses. They are also frequently used in the construction of bridges, buildings, and other large structures where torsion and other types of stress must be carefully considered.