Tossing a die till a number recurs.

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about deriving the probability function of X, the number of tosses until a result equal to one of the preceding results is obtained when a die is tossed repeatedly. The question asks for a general formula for P(X) and the experts in the conversation provide different strategies for deriving it. One member suggests a recursive strategy while another member provides a pattern for calculating the probabilities for different values of X. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the numbers in the pattern are correct and that there may not be a need for a general formula.
peripatein
Hi,
I would like to confirm my answer to the following question in Statistics. Hopefully one of you will be willing to provide some feedback.

Homework Statement

A die is tossed repeatedly, until a result (1-6) equal to one of the preceding results is obtained. For instance, (3,2,4,2) is a series of tosses halted at the fourth toss (as only after that toss has a number recurred). X denotes the number of tosses till 'success' is obtained. The question asks for the probability function of X.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure how to come up with a general formula for P(X), but I did manage to derive the following, which, hopefully, is correct:
P(X = 2) = 1/6
P(X = 3) = (5/6)(2/6) = 5/18
P(X = 4) = (5/6)(4/6)(3/6) = 5/18
P(X = 5) = (5/6)(4/6)(3/6)(4/6) = 5/27
P(X = 6) = (5/6)(4/6)(3/6)(2/6)(5/6) = 25/324
P(X = 7) = 5! / 6^5 = 5/324

Is it correct? How may I come up with a general formula for P(X)? I'd appreciate any comments and your assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a novice here.

Wouldn't P(X = 2) = 1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36 ?
Since you have to toss 2 times and the result obtained in the second toss has to be the same as the first toss.

Ash L said:
I'm a novice here.

Wouldn't P(X = 2) = 1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36 ?
Since you have to toss 2 times and the result obtained in the second toss has to be the same as the first toss.

No, his numbers are correct. It doesn't matter what the first toss gives. Once it has been done, there is 1/6 probability of the second toss matching it

But you have a probability of 1 to obtain any number between 1-6, and then a probability of 1/6 to obtain the same number when you toss it the second time. That's my rationale in any case.

I didn't see your post, LCKurtz, when I wrote that. Sorry.
Are all the numbers in my answer correct, i.e. for all values of X? Moreover, is there a way to derive a general formula?

peripatein said:
Are all the numbers in my answer correct, i.e. for all values of X? Moreover, is there a way to derive a general formula?

No problem, that happens all the time. I worked it a different way and got the same answers you have. Dunno about a general formula. Do you really need one?

LCKurtz said:
No, his numbers are correct. It doesn't matter what the first toss gives. Once it has been done, there is 1/6 probability of the second toss matching it

Oh ok, I misread the question.

Possibly not, I simply presumed it might be feasible to derive one and work it out more elegantly by sheer substitution for X.

peripatein said:
Possibly not, I simply presumed it might be feasible to derive one and work it out more elegantly by sheer substitution for X.

It's easy enough to work out a recursive strategy. P(n) is the probability you haven't already stopped (so one minus the sum of the previous P(i)) times the probability of matching (n-1)/6.

peripatein said:

Yes, they are correct. Your own pattern can be written as$$
P(X=k)=\frac{5!(k-1)}{6^{k-1}(7-k)!}$$for ##k=1..7##.

What is the probability of getting a specific number after tossing a die till a number recurs?

The probability of getting a specific number after tossing a die till a number recurs is always 1/6, as each number on a die has an equal chance of appearing on any given roll.

What is the expected number of tosses required for a number to recur?

The expected number of tosses required for a number to recur is 6, as this is the average number of tosses needed to see all six numbers on a die. However, this is not a guarantee and it is possible for a number to recur on the first or second toss.

Is it possible for a number to never recur after an infinite number of tosses?

No, it is not possible for a number to never recur after an infinite number of tosses. This is due to the nature of probability, where the chances of a specific number appearing increase as more tosses are made.

What is the significance of the concept of "recurs" in this scenario?

The concept of "recurs" in this scenario means that a number will eventually repeat or reappear after a certain number of tosses. This is an important idea in probability as it helps us understand the likelihood of certain outcomes.

Can the concept of "tossing a die till a number recurs" be applied to other scenarios?

Yes, the concept of "tossing a die till a number recurs" can be applied to other scenarios, such as flipping a coin until a specific side appears or drawing cards from a deck until a specific suit appears. This concept can be used to understand the probability of specific outcomes in various situations.