Total Angular Momentum Measurements

In summary, for a particle with orbital momentum ##l=1## and spin ##s=1/2## in the state described by $$\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}|1,1\rangle|\downarrow\rangle+\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}|1,0\rangle|\uparrow\rangle,$$ the possible outcomes for total angular momentum are ##j=1/2## with probability ##1/5## and ##j=3/2## with probability ##4/5##. To solve this problem, one should look up the appropriate Clebsch-Gordon coefficients to determine the value of ##j##.
andre220

Homework Statement

Consider a particle with orbital momentum ##l=1## and spin ##s = 1/2## to be in the state described by
$$\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}| 1,1\rangle|\downarrow\rangle+\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}|1,0\rangle|\uparrow\rangle$$

If the total angular momentum is measured what would be the possible outcomes? What are the corresponding probabilities?

Homework Equations

##\mathbf{J} = \mathbf{L}+\mathbf{S}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so on the surface this seems pretty simple, but I want to make sure that I am not thinking about this wrong.

For the first state: ##J=1-1/2 =1/2## with probability ##1/5## and the second state ##J=1+1/2=3/2## with probability ##4/5##. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's not correct. You need to express the state in terms of eigenstates of ##J^2##.

On second looks, it's not as easy as I thought. For some reason I thought it was ##|j,m\rangle## and instead it is ##|l,m\rangle|s_z\rangle##

What would be a good way to approach this problem? In thinking about it again, I need to determine ##j##, but I am not sure how to go about doing so.

Look up the appropriate Clebsch-Gordon coefficients.

Yes, your solution is correct. The total angular momentum can take on two possible values: ##J=1/2## or ##J=3/2##, corresponding to the two possible outcomes of the measurement. The probabilities for these outcomes are given by the coefficients in front of the state vectors in the given wavefunction, which are ##1/5## and ##4/5## respectively. This solution is in line with the fact that the total angular momentum is the sum of the orbital and spin angular momenta, and can take on values that are the sum or difference of the individual angular momenta.

Related to Total Angular Momentum Measurements

1. What is total angular momentum?

Total angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system. It is a combination of the angular momentum of individual particles and the overall rotation of the system as a whole.

2. How is total angular momentum measured?

Total angular momentum is typically measured using an instrument called a gyroscope, which can detect the rotational motion of a system. It can also be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotation) by the angular velocity (the rate at which the object is rotating).

3. Why is total angular momentum important?

Total angular momentum is important because it is a conserved quantity in many physical systems, meaning that it remains constant even as the system undergoes changes. It is also a fundamental property of rotating objects and is crucial in understanding their behavior.

4. What are some real-world applications of total angular momentum measurements?

Total angular momentum measurements have many practical applications, such as in navigation and guidance systems for aircraft and spacecraft, as well as in the design of stabilizers for vehicles and ships. They are also important in studying the behavior of rotating celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.

5. How is total angular momentum related to other types of momentum?

Total angular momentum is related to linear momentum, which is the measure of an object's motion in a straight line. Both quantities are conserved in isolated systems and can be transferred from one object to another. Additionally, total angular momentum is also related to spin angular momentum, which describes the intrinsic angular momentum of particles such as electrons.