Total internal reflection, underwater light

In summary, the radius of the circle of light formed on the water's surface is the distance from the point source of light to the point where the angle of incidence equals the critical angle.
gigli
[Solved] Total internal reflection, underwater light?

Homework Statement

A point source of light is at the bottom of a koi pond, at a depth of 0.525 meters. What is the radius of the circle of light formed on the water's surface? Take the index of refraction of water to be 1.33. Hint: Some of the light emitted experiences total internal reflection inside the water.

Homework Equations

sin(crit angle) = n2/n1
n1>n2
n for air = 1.00
n for water = 1.33

The Attempt at a Solution

So the critical angle for water to air is:
arcsin(1/1.33) = 48.7534666 degrees

This is where it all ends. There is no formula for distance or light radius. I am completely stuck at this point and cannot find anywhere in my book where I could derive the answer. I would deeply appreciate some help with this one!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw yourself a diagram of the light source with rays emanating in all directions. For various ray angles, what happens when the light reaches the water surface? At what angle with the vertical will they be totally reflected. Use a bit of trig to figure out the radius of the circle of light.

Wouldn't the radius of light only be a point at the surface if it is only a point at the bottom? I'm afraid I'm still not grasping this.

Did you draw a diagram of what's happening with the light rays?

gigli said:
Wouldn't the radius of light only be a point at the surface if it is only a point at the bottom?
Think of the point source of light sending out zillions of light rays in all directions. What happens to a light ray that goes straight up? One that goes 5 degrees from the vertical? 10 degrees? Etc.

Yes. When the angle is not quite to the critical angle it shines out of the water. when it reaches the critical angle it shines across the surface of the water, but none shines into the air, and when it is past the critical angle no light shines out of the water only deeper back into the water.

I think I see why it stays in the water and all that, but I fail to see how there is a radius of light at the surface, when it is only a point form the source. Sorry if I am being rather thick.

Ooooooooooooooooh. I got it now. Thank you so much.

The light was shining a cone straight up, but past 48 degrees it was reflecting back into the water. I was thinking it was a laser beam aimed at 48 degrees.

Thanks again! I got the right answer

gigli said:
Yes. When the angle is not quite to the critical angle it shines out of the water. when it reaches the critical angle it shines across the surface of the water, but none shines into the air, and when it is past the critical angle no light shines out of the water only deeper back into the water.
Good. Now imagine a line going straight up from the light source to the water's surface. That spot on the surface will be the center of a circle. Think of all those rays of light hitting the surface. What's the farthest from the center that the light can reach when it passes the surface?
I think I see why it stays in the water and all that, but I fail to see how there is a radius of light at the surface, when it is only a point form the source.
It's not a point from the source, it's a "point source" of light. That just means that the light source is small enough to treat as being a single point, instead of some extended light source. Imagine it as a small light bulb. (As compared, perhaps, to a 3 foot long flourescent light tube--which would not make a good "point source".)

gigli said:
The light was shining a cone straight up, but past 48 degrees it was reflecting back into the water. I was thinking it was a laser beam aimed at 48 degrees.
Excellent. I knew it would click, sooner or later. :wink:

That last little bit really clarified what I was looking for. Thanks for the help Doc Al. Guess I'll try and get cracking on another stumper.

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium and is completely reflected at the boundary between the two materials. This happens when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, which is determined by the refractive indices of the two materials.

How does total internal reflection relate to underwater light?

In the context of underwater light, total internal reflection can occur when light from above the water surface enters the water at an angle greater than the critical angle. This results in all of the light being reflected and none of it passing through the water, creating a mirror-like effect on the surface of the water.

What causes total internal reflection to occur in underwater environments?

Total internal reflection in underwater environments is caused by the difference in refractive indices between air and water. Light travels more slowly through water than air, causing it to bend as it enters the water. If the angle of incidence is too great, the light will be completely reflected instead of passing through the water.

What are some practical applications of total internal reflection in underwater settings?

Total internal reflection has several practical applications in underwater settings. For example, it can be used in fiber optic cables to transmit light signals over long distances in the ocean. It is also used in underwater photography to capture images of aquatic life without the distortion caused by refraction.

Can total internal reflection occur in any other mediums besides water?

Yes, total internal reflection can occur in any medium where there is a difference in refractive indices between two materials. This can include glass and air, diamond and air, or even light traveling through a curved glass surface. It is a fundamental principle of optics and can be observed in many different situations.