Can a Tournament Graph Define a Total Order Without Three-Player Cycles?

• Thread starter QuietMind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary: Without transitivity we don't have an order or even a partial order. With transitivity we have both a partial order and a total order.
QuietMind

Homework Statement

In an n-player round-robin tournament, every pair of distinct players compete in a single game. Assume that every game has a winner —there are no ties. The results of such a tournament can then be represented with a tournament digraph where the vertices correspond to players and there is an edge x→y iff x beat y in their game.

(a) Explain why a tournament digraph cannot have cycles of length 1 or 2.

(b) Is the “beats” relation for a tournament graph always/sometimes/never: • asymmetric? • reflexive? • irreflexive? • transitive? Explain.

(c) Show that a tournament graph represents a total order iff there are no cycles of length 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm struggling with part c. I have the solutions posted below, but I don't fully understand the explanation.

"As observed in the previous part, the “beats” relation whose graph is a tournament is asymmetric and irreflexive. Since every pair of players is comparable, the relation is a total order iff it is transitive. “Beats” is transitive iff for any players x, y and z, x → y and y → z implies that x → z (and consequently that there is no edge z x). Therefore, “beats” is transitive iff there are no cycles of length 3. "

I do not understand "Since every pair of players is comparable, the relation is a total order iff it is transitive." I thought that total order simply meant that any two players have to be comparable, so A beats B or B beats A. To me, that seems to be satisfied by the fact that it is a round robin tournament. The answer seems to imply that this total order implies there's a hierarchy of who beats who. How do they get transitivity from the stipulation that it's a total order?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuietMind said:
I thought that total order simply meant that any two players have to be comparable, so A beats B or B beats A.
That's close, but not quite correct. A more accurate statement is 'a partial order on a set is also a total order on that set if for any two elements there is an order relation between them'.

A (strict) partial order is a binary relation on a set that is transitive, irreflexive and asymmetric. So without transitivity the relation is not even a partial order. It is not any sort of order relation. The 'strict' part relates to asymmetric and irreflexive properties. Without those it is a non-strict partial order. It's the difference between ##<## and ##\leq##.

Since every player plays every other, the completeness requirement of a total order is already satisfied, and the earlier questions established irreflexivity and asymmetry. The only part that is not yet established, to qualify as an order (and therefore also as a total order) is transitivity.

Likes QuietMind

1. What are total order properties?

Total order properties refer to the characteristics of a set or collection of objects that can be arranged in a specific order from first to last. This order is based on a defined relationship between the objects, such as size, weight, or value.

2. What is the significance of total order properties in science?

Total order properties are important in science because they allow for the organization and comparison of data. This enables scientists to make meaningful observations and draw conclusions from their experiments or studies.

3. How are total order properties different from partial order properties?

While total order properties require all objects in a set to be comparable and arranged in a specific order, partial order properties only require some objects to be comparable and do not have a strict ordering. This means that some objects may have the same value or rank in a partial order, while this is not possible in a total order.

4. Can total order properties be applied to abstract concepts?

Yes, total order properties can be applied to abstract concepts such as ideas, emotions, or opinions. These properties can be used to organize and compare these concepts, allowing for a better understanding of their relationships and patterns.

5. How can total order properties be used in real-life situations?

Total order properties have practical applications in various fields, such as economics, computer science, and engineering. They can be used to rank data, make decisions, and optimize processes. For example, in economics, total order properties can be used to rank consumer preferences and determine the most valuable products or services.